Marquette vs 24/21 Connecticut
Jan. 10, 2007
* With a win over nationally ranked Connecticut, Marquette improves to 2-1 against ranked teams this season, 18-21 in the Tom Crean era and 88-126 all time. Marquette meets no. 22 West Virginia in its next contest.
* Ousmane Barro recorded his second double double of the season, recording 17 points and 13 rebounds. The 13 rebounds tied a career high.
* Marquette grabbed 50 rebounds, its second highest total of the season. Marquette grabbed 53 boards against Northwestern State.
* The Golden Eagles limited Connecticut to 39 rebounds, seven below its NCAA-leading average.
* Wesley Matthews had eight rebounds for the second consecutive game. Since grabbing a season high nine boards against Savanna State, Matthews has averaged a team leading 7.5 rebounds per game over those four contests.
* Dwight Burke broke his career high in rebounds grabbing seven. His previous high was five set against Syracuse in MU's last game.
* Dominic James had 17 points, ending a two game stretch of not scoring in double figures.
* Jerel McNeal set a career high with nine free throws and 13 attempts. Marquette set season highs with 23 free throws made and 35 attempted.
* Marquette had four players score in double figures for seventh time this season and the first time in six games.
* It is the fourth time this season that Barro, James, Matthews and McNeal all scored double figures in the same game. MU is 4-0 in those instances and 4-1 all-time when that happens.
* Marquette started the same starting lineup in consecutive games for the first time in four games, since starting the same lineup against Morgan State and Savannah State. The starting five of Barro, Lazar Hayward, James, McNeal and Matthews is 1-1 this season.
* Connecticut hit 26 free throws, a season high for a Marquette opponent. Connecticut also committed 28 fouls, tying a season high for an MU opponent.
* Marquette only made two three pointers, tying a season low.
* Jerel McNeal set a season high for an MU individual with eight turnovers.
* Connecticut's Marcus Johnson and Jerome Dyson fouled out.
* Doug Wiggins scored 19 points off the bench for Connecticut, marking back-to-back instances in which MU has allowed 19 points or more to someone off the opponents bench.
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS