Marquette Tops Presbyterian, 84-66
Dec. 27, 2015
MILWAUKEE - Presbyterian whittled Marquette's lead down to four points in the second half, but the Golden Eagles held on to top the Blue Hose, 84-66, on Sunday afternoon at the BMO Harris Bradley Center.
Henry Ellenson and Luke Fischer each posted 17 points for the Golden Eagles (10-2), who won their ninth-straight contest on Sunday. Ellenson added 15 rebounds for his seventh double-double, while Fischer notched his fourth double-double with 14 rebounds. Each also recorded four blocks.
DeSean Murray scored a game-high 20 points for the Blue Hose (5-8) and added 11 rebounds and three steals.
The Golden Eagles begin BIG EAST Conference action on Wednesday, Dec. 30 at the BMO Harris Bradley Center against Seton Hall at 6 p.m.
• This was the third meeting between both teams and, with the win, Marquette remained unbeaten against Presbyterian all-time. The Golden Eagles also improved to 7-1 all-time against teams from the Big South Conference.
• Prior to the second media timeout, Marquette opened up a 17-10 advantage thanks to back-to-back three’s by Duane Wilson and Jajuan Johnson. The advantage was built in spite of a 26.3 percent (5-for-19) performance from the field to that point, including 2-for-7 from three.
• Back-to-back baskets by Darius Moore and Ruben Arroyo cut an 11-point deficit to just six for PC to make it 30-24 with just over 3 minutes left in the first half.
• Marquette was led at halftime by Henry Ellenson and Haanif Cheatham, who each chipped in 10 points to pace the Golden Eagles to a 38-29 lead at the break. Luke Fischer added seven points, seven rebounds and a team-high three blocks after 20 minutes of action.
• Presbyterian was led by Desean Murray’s 14 first-half points on 5-for-10 shooting.
• Both teams struggled from the field in the opening half with each falling short of 35 percent shooting. MU forced PC into 13 first-half turnovers, but the Blue Hose would commit just two miscues in the second half.
• The Blue Hose opened up the second half on an 11-4 run thanks to back-to-back three’s by Reggie Dillard and Darius Moore, and cut the deficit to 43-39 just over 2 minutes into the second stanza.
• The Golden Eagles responded with a 16-3 run to mark their largest lead of the game of 59-42 to that point with 14:29 left in the second half.
• Henry Ellenson’s game-high 17 points and 15 rebounds marked his seventh double-double of the season for the Golden Eagles. He also set a career-high with four blocks, tying Luke Fischer for game-high honors, while his 15 rebounds were one shy of his career-high (Belmont – 11/13).
• Luke Fischer recorded his fourth double-double of the season with a game-high 17 points and career-high 14 rebounds. It marked the second time this year that Ellenson and Fischer have registered double-doubles in the same game with the previous time being in the season opener against Belmont (Nov. 13).
• In the win, Marquette put five players in double figures – the sixth time that five or more players have reached 10-or-more points this season. MU was led by Henry Ellenson and Luke Fischer, who each totaled 17 points, while Haanif Cheatham (14), Sandy Cohen III (12) and Duane Wilson (11) also reached double figures.
• Haanif Cheatham also added a career-high six rebounds in the win.
• As a team, Marquette hauled in a season-high 53 rebounds and tied its season-high with 11 blocked shots.
• The Golden Eagles converted 17 free throws on 23 attempts (73.9 percent), while holding the Blue Hose to just seven attempts, from which they converted six.
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS