MU's nine-game winning streak was snapped by Seton Hall.
Dec. 30, 2015
Box Score | Box Score (PDF)
Photo Gallery | Postgame Notes (PDF)
VIDEO: Highlights | Presser
MILWAUKEE - Marquette was unable to hold onto a halftime lead in its BIG EAST Conference lid-lifter on Wednesday evening, falling 83-63 to Seton Hall at the BMO Harris Bradley Center.
Freshman guard Haanif Cheatham scored the second-highest total of his career to lead the Golden Eagles (10-3, 0-1 BIG EAST) with 17 points. Classmate Henry Ellenson struggled from the field but still managed to notch his eighth double-double of the year with 13 points and 14 rebounds.
Desi Rodriquez led the Pirates (11-2, 1-0 BIG EAST) with a career-best 19 points.
The Golden Eagles return to action on Saturday, Jan. 2 against Georgetown at 4:30 p.m. Central time in Washington, D.C., at the Verizon Center.
• This was the 19th meeting all-time between both teams in a series that dates all the way back to 1956. With the loss, MU now holds a 15-4 series advantage.
• MU also opened its 11th season of BIG EAST play. With the loss, the Golden Eagles are now 6-5 in BIG EAST lid-lifters. It is also the first loss for MU in a BIG EAST home-opener.
• After Seton Hall guard Isaiah Whitehead picked-up his second personal foul, forcing him to the bench, MU was able to use a 7-2 run to close a 17-7 gap.
• After falling behind by as many as 11 points with 14:42 left in the first stanza, MU was able to slowly cut the deficit before squaring the game at 32-32, on a Haanif Cheatham lay-up with 5:01 remaining in the first half.
• Henry Ellenson grabbed 10 boards in the first half. The mark bested MU's previous first-half high of nine, which was also done by Ellenson in a win vs. Chicago State (12/21/15).
• MU took its first lead of the contest with 1:06 remaining in the first half, coming off a Wally Ellenson follow-up on a missed three-pointer by Henry Ellenson.
• The Golden Eagles took a 40-39 lead into the locker room at half, led by Haanif Cheatham, who tallied 15 points and recorded two takeaways. The Pirates were led by Desi Rodriguez who notched 15 points in the first 20 minutes.
• MU outscored SHU 32-12 in the paint in the first half, and were also able to score 17 points off turnovers. However, Seton Hall was able to force nine MU turnovers in the first half, recording 11 points off of those miscues.
• The Pirates outrebounded the Golden Eagles 23-17 in the first stanza, which included 10 offensive boards. SHU tallied eight second chance points, to MU's four.
• Seton Hall continued to take advantage on the boards, recording four offensive rebounds in the first 6 minutes of the second half, which resulted in six second chance points.
• After MU pulled to within five points with 10:29 left in the second half, SHU opened up a 73-54 lead by going on an 18-4 run, resulting from five MU turnovers during that stretch.
• MU struggled from beyond the arc, shooting a season-low 1-11, which was the lowest percentage since MU shot 1-10 from long-distance in a loss last season against Seton Hall (2/7/15).
• Marquette was led by freshman Haanif Cheatham who recorded 17 points, and Henry Ellenson who posted his eighth double-double of the season, scoring 13 points and adding 14 rebounds.
• Henry Ellenson's 14 boards put him in a tie for ninth in all-time rebounds for a freshman. Ellenson, now with 132 rebounds this season, tying Jim McIlvaine.
• The Pirates were led by Desi Rodriguez who tallied 19 points and five rebounds. Rodriguez's 19-point output set a new career-high for the sophomore. His previous best of 18 was set on two occasions, most recently in a Seton Hall win vs. Troy (12/10/15).