March 19, 2018
Marquette Game Notes
The Marquette University men's basketball team (21-13, 9-9 BIG EAST) continues play in the 2018 National Invitation Tournament on Tuesday, March 20 when the squad hosts Penn State (23-13, 9-9 Big Ten) at 6 p.m. CT in the Al McGuire Center. ESPN will feature the national television broadcast, with Eric Frede (play-by-play) and Dino Gaudio (analyst) calling the action
MU Adds To Extensive Postseason Resume
Marquette, which is making its 49th all-time postseason trip and 16th in the NIT, is among the nation's top programs in terms of championship appearances.
Marquette claimed the 1970 NIT title under Hall of Fame head coach Al McGuire and advanced to the title matchup in 1994-95 under head coach Mike Deane. MU claimed a 65-53 win over St. John's in 1970, but fell to Virginia Tech (65-64, OT) in 1995. The team also finished runner-up in 1967 when it lost to Southern Illinois 71-56 in McGuire's third season as head coach.
MU is 3-2 all-time versus Penn State, including an 87-79 win in the 1995 NIT Semifinals in the most recent matchup. The Nittany Lions downed Marquette 57-54 in the NIT Second Round in 1990.
News & Notes: Scoring Trio Key To Team Success
- Guard Andrew Rowsey, who drew a pair of foul calls on long-distance shots versus Oregon, has now been fouled a total of 31 times on 3-point attempts in 2017-18. As a result, he has shot 89 free throws (made shots vs. Purdue and Oregon) on those attempts, which accounts for nearly half (89-of-185) of his charity toss total this year.
- At least one member of Marquette's top scoring trio of Markus Howard, Andrew Rowsey and Sam Hauser has led the team in scoring in all but one game (Anim at Creighton on Feb. 17) this season and the players account for 67.2 percent of the team's offensive attack.
- Marquette is one of the nation's top 3-point shooting teams and as a result set a new program single-season standard for 3-pointers made in the March 7 matchup vs. DePaul. MU now owns 373 makes from long distance, surpassing the previous record of 337 set in 2016-17.
- MU is the only team in the country to feature three players with 75-or-more 3-pointers and Rowsey (119), Howard (109) and Hauser (92) are all already in the team's top-10 single-season list and trail only Steve Novak (121, 2005-06).
- Marquette's Andrew Rowsey, Markus Howard and Sam Hauser have combined for 320 made 3-pointers in 2017-18. That total currently ranks the trio 33rd in the nation among all 351 NCAA Division I teams through games of March 18.
- Of the team's losses in 2017-18, seven came to nationally ranked teams (19/21 Purdue, 6/6 Wichita State, 6/5 Xavier, 3/3 Villanova, 8/8 Xavier, 1/1 Villanova, 2/3 Villanova - ranking at time of game).