Marquette To Face Washington In 17th Annual Jimmy V Classic
May 24, 2011
release courtesy ESPN
The 2011 Jimmy V Women’s and Men’s Basketball Classics will both be held on Tuesday, Dec. 6 marking the first time the two events benefiting cancer research have been played on the same night.
The 10th annual women’s Classic will pit NCAA National Champion Texas A&M at defending BIG EAST champion Connecticut at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2. The 17th annual men’s doubleheader, held at New York City’s famed Madison Square Garden for the ninth consecutive event, will pit Missouri vs. Villanova at 7 p.m. and Washington vs. Marquette at 9 p.m., both on ESPN.
Once again, the two early-season college basketball events that showcase top programs on ESPN and ESPN2 will conclude the fifth annual Jimmy V Week, a weeklong initiative Nov. 30 to Dec. 6 across multiple ESPN platforms and programs featuring special content to help raise funds for cancer research.
Tickets for the Jimmy V Men’s Basketball Classic will go on sale in the fall via Ticketmaster and at the Madison Square Garden Box Office. Tickets for the Jimmy V Women’s Basketball Classic will be available at the Connecticut ticket office.
10th Annual Jimmy V Women’s Basketball Classic Highlights:
• Defending BIG EAST champion Connecticut, coming off a Final Four appearance in the 2011 NCAA Tournament, will host defending National Champion Texas A&M (Tuesday, Dec. 6, at 7 p.m. on ESPN2).
• The contest will be the first between the two programs.
• Texas A&M will make its second consecutive Jimmy V Classic appearance after its event debut last year while Connecticut will play in its fourth, but first since 2005.
17th Annual Jimmy V Men’s Basketball Classic Highlights of the event showcasing four of the nation’s elite programs Tuesday, Dec. 6 on ESPN (Missouri vs. Villanova at 7 p.m. followed by Washington vs. Marquette at 9 p.m.):
• Missouri, Washington and Marquette will make their Jimmy V Classic debut. Villanova played in the 2008 event against Texas.
• All four programs participated in the 2011 NCAA Tournament: Marquette reached the Sweet 16, Washington the third round, and Missouri and Villanova the second round.
• Missouri and Villanova will meet for the second time ever. The only previous meeting was a 72-53 Missouri victory in the 1985 Rainbow Classic.
• Marquette is 2-1 all-time against Washington but lost its most recent game to the Huskies, 80-78 in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament.
Jimmy V Men’s Basketball Classic Dinner Oct. 13
The V Foundation
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS