CJ Swift trailed through nine holes, but rallied for a win in his match, 3 and 2.
Feb. 20, 2016
PHOENIX - The Marquette men’s golf team opened its spring season with a 6-3 match play win over Grand Canyon at GCU Golf Course on Friday.
- Garrett Loomis posted three birdies and one bogey, and never lost a hole in winning his match 7 and 6. Loomis was 5 up after winning the 9th hole and birdied his last hole (12th) to win.
- After being one down thru nine holes, CJ Swift’s turning point came when he made a 10-foot putt for birdie on his 10th hole, while his opponent missed a 3-foot putt to square up the match. Swift would go on to play his last seven holes at 3-under-par and closed out the match with a 25-footer for birdie on the 16th hole to win 3 and 2.
- Zach Gaugert lost first two holes to go two down. He then won back-to-back holes (6th and 7th) to make it even at the turn. His opponent, Alex Kline, won the 12th hole with a birdie before Gaugert responded with a 20-footer for birdie to win the 13th. Gaugert then drove the green on the 14th hole and two-putted for birdie to win back-to-back holes and go one up. Gaugert made four birdies, including three on his back nine.
- Charlie Maleki was three down at one point and clawed his way back, capping off a back nine charge that ended with a 2 and 1 victory after draining a 20-footer for birdie on the 17th.
- Nick Nelson had three consecutive birdies on the front nine that catapulted him to a lead. Nelson eventually fell even and was able to make a good up and down on the 16th hole to take the one up lead. The senior secured the victory on the par-5 18th hole, when his eagle putt on the last was conceded, after hitting a hybrid to 20 feet.
- Pat Sanchez won holes 9-13, making two birdies in the last three.
Marquette resumes 54-hole tournament play March 5-6 in Scottsdale, Arizona at the Desert Mountain Intercollegiate, hosted by Michigan.
RESULTS - MARQUETTE 6, GRAND CANYON 3
Friday, Feb. 20 - Grand Canyon Univ. Golf Course
9. Trevor Thomas vs. Tyler Apps (W, 6 and 5)
8. Pat Sanchez (W, 7 and 5) vs. Colton Estevez
7. Henry Klongland vs. Hayden Webb (W, 2 and 1)
6. Charlie Maleki (W, 2 and 1) vs. Billy Comeaux
5. Garrett Loomis (W, 7 and 6) vs. Cole Cunningham
4. CJ Swift (W, 3 and 2) vs. Andres Caballero
3. Zach Gaugert (W, 2 up) vs. Alex Kline
2. Nick Nelson (W, 2 up) vs. Jake Byrum
1. Oliver Farrell vs. Brett Wilson (W, 2 and 1)