March 19, 2017
HOWEY-IN-THE-HILLS, Fla. — Marquette’s final round team score of 292 (4-over-par) sealed a runner-up finish (298-296-292—886) for the Golden Eagles at the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular, hosted by George Mason at El Campeon G.C.
The second place showing is Marquette’s best 54-hole event finish since winning the 2015 BIG EAST Championship. All five of MU’s starters finished in the top 28 of the 107-man field, led by Oliver Farrell’s 4-over-par 220 (72-75-73), which tied for fifth place. Ferdinand Müller (71-79-71) and Henry Klongland (Ind. - 73-75-73) tied for eighth with their 5-over-par 221 scores.
MU’s team score improved in each round - the Golden Eagles wrapped up 11 strokes behind medalist TCU and 13 ahead of host George Mason, which finished third.
- Müller was the only Marquette starter to post two sub-par rounds, with 1-under-par 71s sandwiching his event. He had five birdies in the final round to finish with his second-lowest career 54-hole total.
- Klongland’s 221 was his lowest score since he shot 220 in the 2014 Windon Memorial Classic - he tied his best career finish since the 2013 Windon, which was his second career event during his freshman season.
- Klongland was the top finishing individual player in the field.
- For the 11th time in 16 career starts, Farrell had MU’s best event finish and lowest score. His steady weekend included a field-best 47 par makes on 54 holes.
- Marquette made a field-leading 177 pars and led the tournament with its combined 8-under-par score on par-5 holes.
- The last time MU was a runner-up in a 54-hole event was the El Macero Classic in April of 2015.
- The average score in the 107-player field was 78.72.
MARQUETTE TEAM SCORING - 298-296-292-886
T5 - Oliver Farrell - 72-75-73—220
T8 - Ferdinand Müller - 71-79-71—221
T13 - Matt Murlick - 78-71-75—224
T21 - Matthew Bachmann - 77-74-75—226
T28 - Charlie Maleki - 79-76-73-228
T8 - Henry Klongland - 73-75-73—221
T34 - Austin Kendziorski - 76-76-77—229
T44 - Garrett Loomis - 72-84-76—229