Nick Nelson moved seven spots up the leaderboard in Sunday's final round.
April 10, 2016
COLUMBUS, Indiana – Senior Nick Nelson posted a final round 1-under-par 71 to finish tied for seventh (73-71—144; even par), leading Marquette in its fourth-place finish (293-294—587) at the weather-shortened Hoosier Collegiate at Otter Creek G.C.
Saturday’s weather caused the 54-hole event to be shortened to a 36-hole competition. Purdue finished atop the team leaderboard at 578 (2-over-par) on the par 72, 7,199-yard layout.
MARQUETTE QUICK HITS
- Nelson jumped seven spots on the leaderboard on Sunday. He went out at 1-over-par with bogeys at No. 4 and No. 6 before finishing the day with three birdies on his final 12 holes, coming in at 2-under-par.
- Nelson had 28 par makes over the 36-hole event, second-best in the field.
- After opening with a 1-under-par 71 on Saturday, freshman Charlie Maleki finished with MU’s second-lowest score of the weekend, tied for 10th with a 1-over-par 145 (71-74).
- For the Mequon native, his 1-under-par opening round score of 71 was his career low in a 54-hole scheduled collegiate event.
- Freshman Oliver Farrell had MU’s other top-25 finish, going 4-over-par for the weekend (73-75—148) to finish tied for 23rd.
- Average scoring for players in the event was 75.38 per round.
Marquette returns to the course beginning on Friday at the 54-hole El Macero Classic, hosted by UC Davis, April 15-17 in El Macero, California.
Marquette Team Scoring: 293-294 – 587 (fourth of 13, 75 players)
T7 – Nick Nelson – 73-71—144
T10 – Charlie Maleki – 71-74—145
T23 – Oliver Farrell – 73-75—148
T48 – CJ Swift – 76-77—153
T48 – Zach Gaugert – 79-74—153
T48 – Austin Kendziorski (ind.) – 80-73--153