Oliver Farrell was one of two MU players to post a par or better round at El Macero.
April 17, 2016
EL MACERO, California - Freshman Oliver Farrell shot a final round even par 72 to finish tied for 14th place at 222 (76-74-72), leading Marquette in its fifth-place showing (307-295-291—893) at the El Macero Classic, hosted by UC Davis.
The Golden Eagles had their best round of the three-day event on Sunday, shooting a 3-over-par 291 as a team. MU lowered its score as conditions improved throughout the tournament - Sunday’s average score in the field was 74.92, down from the peak of 78.68 on Friday. No one in the 90-player field had a 54-hole score under par.
Texas Tech won the 15-team event with a 12-over-par 876. Second to fifth place was separated by nine strokes.
MARQUETTE QUICK HITS
- The Golden Eagles were third in the field with 39 birdie makes.
- Farrell started slow at 2-over-par through eight holes, but finished strong with three birdie makes on his final 10 holes.
- Nick Nelson gained two spots on the leaderboard on the final day, finishing tied for 20th after shooting a final round 73 that was highlighted by birdies on three of his final five holes. He had MU’s most dramatic jump up the leaderboard at the event, moving up from a 53rd-place 80 on Friday.
- Nelson was the only Marquette player to post a sub-par round in the event, shooting a 1-under-par 71 in the second round on Saturday.
- CJ Swift also finished tied for 20th, with his second straight day at 73. He gained 12 spots on the leaderboard after his opening round 78 on Friday.
Marquette’s next event is the BIG EAST Men’s Golf Championship, May 1-3 at Callawassie Island G.C. in Callawassie Island, S.C. - the Golden Eagles will look to defend their 2015 championship, which was the second in program history.Marquette Team Scoring - 307-295-291—893
T14 - Oliver Farrell
T20 - Nick Nelson
T20 - CJ Swift
T39 - Charlie Maleki
T53 - Zach Gaugert
T81 - Patrick Sanchez - 77-82-78—237
88 - Austin Kendziorski