Sept. 12, 2017
VERONA, Wis. -- Matt Murlick posted his second straight 69 to finish tied for fourth at 8-under-par, Austin Kendziorski's 67 moved him to 6-under-par and into a tie for sixth, and Marquette shot 7-under-par in the final round to finish in third place (17-under-par) at the Badger Invitational, hosted by Wisconsin at University Ridge G.C.
Murlick (70-69-69--208) and Kendziorski (77-69-69--210) carded career-low event scores and career-best finishes in the season opener for the Golden Eagles, who posted their best 54-hole score (289-277-281--847) since shooting 840 (24-under-par) Oct. 23-25, 2015 at the Price's Give `Em Five Invitational in El Paso, Texas.
Murlick finished four shots off the final pace set by Texas A&M's Chandler Phillips (12-under-par), while Kendziorski shot the second-lowest round of the day to move into contention. Marquette finished eight strokes behind winner Texas A&M (25-under-par), which entered the season ranked No. 16 in the GCAA Bushnell Golfweek Coaches Poll.
ROUND THREE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Golden Eagles racked up four eagles in the third round, including Murlick's on No. 2 and No. 13 on Tuesday. MU had a field-high seven in the event. MU's 55 tournament birdies were third in the field.
- Paired with Phillips, ranked No. 55 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking (WAGR), Murlick moved up to second place after his eagle on the par 4 13th hole. Bogeys on No. 14 and No. 16 dropped him back to fourth place.
- Over 54 holes, Murlick tallied 14 birdies.
- Kendziorski posted just the second sub-70 round of his career Tuesday - throughout the tournament, he made the most of par 5s, shooting 10-under-par for the tournament.
- Matthew Bachmann (72-79-74--215, 1-under-par) was one of three Marquette players under par in the event. Bachmann's 215 was the second-lowest event score of his collegiate career.
- Freshman Hunter Eichhorn carded his first collegiate sub-par round on Tuesday, shooting 71 thanks to four birdies and an eagle on the par 5 second hole.
- Texas A&M (1st), Wisconsin (5th) and Iowa State (T-6) will be part of the 15-team field at the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills G.C. Oct. 1-3.
MARQUETTE TEAM SCORING: 289-277-281--847 (17-under-par)
University Ridge G.C. - Par 72, 7,259 yards
T4 - Matt Murlick - 70-69-69--208
T6 - Austin Kendziorski - 77-66-67--210
T21 - Matthew Bachmann - 72-69-74-215
T36 - Hunter Eichhorn - 75-75-71--221
T62 - Oliver Farrell - 72-73-80--225
T87 - Ferdinand Müller - 81-77-76--234
T92 - Garrett Loomis - 74-84-79--237
T92 - Charlie Maleki - 79-77-81--237