MU redshirt senior CJ Swift finished with a final round 72.
Sept. 13, 2015
SUGAR GROVE, Illinois -- CJ Swift’s 54-hole score of 225 (77-76-72) led Marquette, as the Golden Eagles finished in a tie for 10th (302-308-307--917) at the Northern Intercollegiate at Rich Harvest Farms G.C. to open their 2015-16 season.
- Swift posted a final round 72, highlighted by four birdies and a score of 1-under-par on the back nine.
- Nick Nelson opened with an even-par 72 on Saturday, carding three back nine birdies to sit in a tie for eighth after the first round.
- Zach Gaugert had MU’s shot of the day Sunday, posting an Eagle on the 634 yard par-5 11th.
- Freshman Austin Kendziorski made his collegiate debut in the Marquette starting lineup.
- Top-ranked (Golfweek/Bushnell Poll) Illinois cruised to the tournament title, topping the 14-team field by 27 strokes.
- No. 7 UCLA (3rd), which will play in the Erin Hills Intercollegiate, and No. 24 Virginia (5th) were the other ranked teams in the field.
- Play was suspended due to darkness on Saturday’s first day with round 2 incomplete - the teams were scheduled to play 36 holes.
MU plays its only other September tournament at the Windon Memorial Classic, hosted by Northwestern, Sept. 27-28 at Lake Shore C.C. in Glencoe, Illinois.
Marquette Team Scoring - 302-308-307--917 (10th place)
T24 - CJ Swift - 77-76-72--225
T34 - Nick Nelson - 72-78-78--228
T38 - Zach Gaugert - 76-80-73--229
T61 - Pat Sanchez - 77-76-84--237
T75 - Austin Kendziorski - 84-78-84--246
74 - Trevor Thomas - 82-76-86--244