Senior Zach Gaugert posted his lowest round since 2013 on Friday.
Oct. 23, 2015
EL PASO, Texas -- Led by 3-under-par (69) showings from seniors Zach Gaugert and Nick Nelson, Marquette posted its lowest team round of the season, shooting a 7-under-par 281 to sit in fifth place after Friday's opener of the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational, hosted by UTEP at Butterfield Trail G.C.
Gaugert and Nelson are tied for 11th place, six strokes out of the lead, while MU is is eight strokes behind UTEP and two behind the three teams tied for second.
- The Golden Eagles’ opening-round 281 is their best single-round score since their first round 281 at the El Macero Classic on April 10, 2015.
- All five MU starters were at even par or better - half of the 84-player field was at par or lower in round one.
- MU made par on 63 holes - tied for most in the field.
- Gaugert continued his recent good play with his third sub-par round over the last four - he had four birdies on his last five holes of the day after going out with an even-par 36. His 69 was his lowest round since the opener of the 2013 Erin Hills Intercollegiate.
- Nelson was steady, with four birdies and only one bogey en route to his second sub-70 round of the season.
Marquette will tee off with Saint Mary’s and UMKC on hole No. 1 beginning at 9:47 a.m. CT on Saturday.