Oliver Farrell shot a career-low 68 in Saturday's second round.
Oct. 24, 2015
EL PASO, Texas -- Marquette picked up six strokes with a second-round team score of 275, led by freshman Oliver Farrell’s 4-under-par 68, and the Golden Eagles (281-275—556) enter the final round of the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational in second place at 20-under-par, one stroke behind leader Kansas.
For the second day in a row, MU set its season standard score - the Golden Eagles posted a season-low 281 on Friday. Four of Marquette’s five starters finished at 3-under-par or lower - senior Nick Nelson’s second straight 69 (3-under-par) has him in a tie for fifth place.
- MU’s team score of 275 was the lowest in the field on Saturday - the Golden Eagles sat in fifth place following Friday’s opening round.
- For the second straight round, Marquette had four of five players at par or better.
- Nelson’s par-3 scoring has been a part of his success, averaging a field-best 2.63-under-par.
- Farrell’s 68 was a career-low, and the second time he’s shot a sub-70 round this season - after going out at 1-under-par, Farrell birdied four of his last six holes. He enters the final round in a tie for 14th place with teammate Pat Sanchez.
- Sanchez posted his season-low round with a 69 on Saturday. He closed his round with 12 bogey-free holes, highlighted by birdies on No. 17 and No. 18.
- Garrett Loomis, who made his MU starting five debut last time out at Erin Hills, birdied two of his first three holes and three of the final four to post a career-low second round 69. Loomis is tied for 19th.
MU begins its final round shotgun start at 9 a.m. CT on Sunday.