Oct. 28, 2016
Round 1 Results
EL PASO, Texas - Marquette freshman Matthew Bachmann fired a 3-under-par 69 on Friday and is tied for fifth place, leading the Golden Eagles to a 5-under-par start (283) and fourth place through 18 holes at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational, hosted by UTEP at Butterfield Trail G.C.
Bachmann leads four Marquette players who had sub-par rounds - Oliver Farrell, Charlie Maleki and Ferdinand Müller (individual) posted 2-under-par 70s to sit in a seven-way tie for 10th place.
The Golden Eagles were one of five teams under par in the opening round, seven strokes behind event leader UTEP.
ROUND ONE NOTES
- Bachmann, who was making just his second start in MU’s five-man lineup, posted his second sub-70 round of the season. After going even par with two birdies and two bogeys on his first five holes, Bachmann shot a bogey-free 3-under-par on the final 13.
- Farrell and Maleki continued their solid play from MU’s last event, where they had identical rounds of 69 to on the way to top-six finishes at the Northern Intercollegiate Oct. 9-10. Farrell had four back nine birdies to come in 1-under-par, while Maleki had three on the back nine.
- Müller notched his career low round on Friday - after an even par first seven holes with two birdies and two bogeys, the German-born freshman made 10 straight pars before finishing the day with an eagle on the par-5 18th.
- Each of MU’s six players in the event came in on the back nine under par, combining for 14 birdies and two eagles. Austin Kendziorski had one of the two eagles on the back nine - his was on the par-4 No. 15 hole.
- The Golden Eagles put down 22 birdies in the opening round, second-most in the field.