Oct. 30, 2016
EL PASO, Texas — For the second day in a row, Marquette posted a 4-under-par 284, ending the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational in third place (283-284-284—851) with a season-best 13-under-par score at Butterfield Trail G.C.
Freshman Ferdinand Müller, who played as an individual, finished tied for fifth at 7-under-par for the tournament (70-69-70—209), as he carded his third sub-par round of the weekend with a third round 70 (2-under-par).
Host UTEP won the three day, 54-hole event with a 35-under-par score (276-280-273—829). The event was the fall season finale for the Golden Eagles.
FINAL ROUND NOTES
- Marquette’s team score of 854 is its lowest of the season; MU shot its season low at Butterfield Trail in 2015-16, with a 54-hole 840.
- The Golden Eagles had four players finish in the Top 13 - in addition to Müller, Oliver Farrell and Matthew Bachmann finished 10th place and 5-under-par for the event, while Charlie Maleki shot a 1-under-par in the third round and finished 13th on the leaderboard.
- Müller capped a career weekend with a third straight sub-par round, which included a second eagle make on the par-5 No. 18 hole. He made par on 14 of the 18 holes in his final round.
- After a second round 74 on Saturday, Matthew Bachmann rebounded for a strong conclusion, shooting a career-low 68 to finish tied for 10th (69-74-68—211, 5-under-par). After a double bogey on the his first shotgun start hole, the par-5 No. 2, Bachmann ripped off seven birdies and only one bogey on his last 17 holes.
- For the fourth time this season, Oliver Farrell was the team’s top finisher, as he finished 10th along with Bachmann. Farrell struggled on the front nine to a 4-over-par start but shot 3-under-par on the back nine, including an eagle on the par-5 14th, to finish at 73 for the day.
- Marquette finished second in the field with 61 birdies and three eagles.