T24 finish marks best of 2015-16 campaign for Pat Sanchez
Nov. 4, 2015
CARLSBAD, Calif. — Senior Pat Sanchez earned a tie for 24th place with his 6-over-par 219 (73-72-74) to lead Marquette (299-293-305--897) in its 14th place finish in The Gifford Collegiate, hosted by UCLA, at the La Costa Legends course.
- Sanchez paced the Golden Eagles throughout the three-day event, holding the team lead after each round played. His T24 finish marks his best result of the 2015-16 season.
- MU continued its consistent play on the par 3’s on the final day, dropping their average to 3.25 strokes per hole, and finishing in the top half of the field.
- Redshirt senior CJ Swift performed well on the par-5s throughout the week, shooting 2-under-par and averaging 4.78 strokes per hole. Sanchez, Nick Nelson, and Zach Gaugert also shot well on the par-5s, all averaging 5.00 strokes per hole.
- Freshman Oliver Farrell turned-in a 2-over-par 37 on the front nine, opening the frame with pars on holes No. 1-7.
- The La Costa Legends course played tough this week, as only tournament champion Washington finished with an above-par score. The Huskies shot an impressive 6-under-par 846 for the tournament.
The Gifford Collegiate concludes the fall season 2015 for the Golden Eagles. Marquette will begin the spring 2016 slate on Feb. 26 in a single day match play event vs. Wisconsin.
Marquette Team Scoring: 299-293-305--897 (+45)
T24 Pat Sanchez - 73-72-74--219 (+6)
T45 Zach Gaugert - 74-73-77--224 (+11)
T60 Oliver Farrell - 77-74-76--227 (+14)
T60 CJ Swift - 75-74-78--227 (+14)
79th Nick Nelson - 78-78-80--236 (+23)