Nick Nelson (8th) is one of three MU players in the BIG EAST top 10 in scoring.
March 1, 2016
Marquette resumes tournament competition for the first time since early November, when the Golden Eagles travel to the Desert Mountain Intercollegiate in Scottsdale, Arizona, March 5-6.
The 54-hole event is hosted by the University of Michigan on the Par 72, 7,107-yard layout of the the Outlaw Course at Desert Mountain Golf Course.
LIVE SCORING | EVENT INFORMATION
Field: Marquette, Michigan, Nebraska, Pacific, Pepperdine, Purdue, St. Mary’s, San Francisco, Santa Clara, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas A&M
Marquette Lineup: Zach Gaugert, Pat Sanchez, Nick Nelson, CJ Swift, Oliver Farrell; Trevor Thomas (Ind.)
LAST YEAR AT THE DESERT MOUNTAIN INTERCOLLEGIATE
RECAPPING THE FALL
- Zach Gaugert posted a season-low 219 (74-72-73) while playing as an individual to finish T12 - it was his second-best collegiate 54 hole score at the time, and was his highest career finish in a 54-hole event prior to this season.
- MU finished in seventh place (302-312-292—907) behind Nick Nelson’s 221 and fifth place finish.
- Marquette played in five fall events, highlighted by a fifth-place 876 in its signature home event, the Erin Hills Intercollegiate, Oct. 4-6.
- The Golden Eagles posted their top event when they carded a 54-hole score of 840 (281-271-284) at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational in El Paso, Texas Oct. 23-25 - the team score was MU’s best since 2013.
- Freshman Oliver Farrell posted MU’s best scoring average at 72.25 (0.75 vs. par), good for third in the BIG EAST - he was named BIG EAST Golfer of the Month for October after shooting a 70.5 average and posting three sub-par rounds over two events.
- Gaugert also put together his best season split, posting four sub-par rounds over six in October - Gaugert enters the spring with a 74.00 average as one of three MU players to log all 15 rounds in the fall.
- Nick Nelson and Garrett Loomis both sit inside the BIG EAST top-10 in scoring - Nelson (8th) shot a 73.73 average in the fall, while Loomis (9th) logged his heaviest career workload (11 rounds) and compiled a 73.91 average.
- Marquette has four of the league’s top eleven scorers and posted a team average of 293.20 over 15 rounds, second-best in the BIG EAST.
- After its trip to Arizona this weekend, Marquette resumes its five-event schedule at The Goodwin, hosted by Stanford University, March 24-26 in Palo Alto, California.