March 3, 2017
Marquette plays its first 54-hole event of the spring schedule at the Desert Mountain Intercollegiate, hosted by the University of Michigan, Saturday and Sunday (March 4-5) on the Outlaw Course at Desert Mountain G.C. in Scottsdale, Arizona.
MU has been part of the Desert Mountain Intercollegiate in all three of its years, finishing seventh in 2015 (302-312-292—906) and tied for ninth (295-297-294—886) in 2016.
The 2017 version of the event features a strong field, including four of Golfweek/Sagarin’s top-50 NCAA teams: Kansas (32), Purdue (33), Northwestern (40) and Michigan (47).
DESERT MOUNTAIN INTERCOLLEGIATE - March 4-5 | Live Scoring
DESERT MOUNTAIN G.C., OUTLAW COURSE (Par 72, 7,107 yards)
FIELD (12): Alabama, Indiana, Kansas, Marquette, Michigan, Northwestern, Purdue, Saint Mary’s, San Diego, Tennessee, Utah, Washington State
MARQUETTE LINEUP: Oliver Farrell, Charlie Maleki, Matthew Bachmann, Matt Murlick, Ferdinand Müller; Individual - Austin Kendziorski
- Oliver Farrell continues his climb into the national scene - Farrell is ranked No. 141 nationally in the NCAA Golfweek/Sagarin ratings entering Saturday’s competition, and No. 118 in Golfstat’s ratings. The last Marquette player to finish a season in the top-100 was Mike Van Sickle, who was the nation’s top-rated player (according to Golfstat) in 2009. Ted Gray was the last before Farrell to crack the top-200, finishing at No. 159 in 2005.
- Where Farrell stacks in the national rankings: 6th in eagles made (6), 12th in subpar strokes per round (4.76), 25th in par-5 scoring (4.52), 27th in first round scoring average (69.67).
- In the BIG EAST ranks, Farrell and Seton Hall’s Lloyd Jefferson Go are the only league players with negative scores vs. par (Farrell: -0.06) - Go (69.79) and Farrell (71.41) rank 1-2 in the conference in scoring.
- Farrell needs two more rounds to reach 45 in his career, and crack Marquette’s top scoring leaders list - he would be second in school history at 72.5 strokes per round in his career.
- Freshman Matthew Bachmann is third on the team in round average at 73.46, and has played solidly since the Marquette Intercollegiate in October. Bachmann has four sub-par rounds over his last seven, including three in the 60s.
- Bachmann’s last 54-hole event was his best - he finished 10th at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational in October with 5-under-par 211, bookending his competition with a 69 and a 68.
- Charlie Maleki’s play at the end of the fall was strong - he posted four sub-par rounds to close out the fall, including a 13th-place 4-under-par 212 at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invite.
- Marquette has four players in the top-11 in the BIG EAST - Farrell, Maleki (73.14), Bachmann, and Matt Murlick (73.65).