April 12, 2018
Marquette plays its final regular season event of 2017-18 at the Hawkeye Invitational, hosted by Iowa, Friday and Saturday at Finkbine G.C. in Iowa City.
The event was originally scheduled to be played Saturday-Sunday, but was moved up a day due to weather concerns. Teams will play 18 holes on Friday and 36 on Saturday.
HAWKEYE INVITATIONAL | FRIDAY-SATURDAY, APRIL 13-14
FINKBINE G.C. (Par 72, 7,239 yards) - IOWA CITY, IOWA
Teams (13): Arkansas State, DePaul, Drake, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Marquette, Minnesota, Michigan State, Nebraska, South Dakota State, UMKC
Marquette Lineup: Matt Murlick, Hunter Eichhorn, Matthew Bachmann, Oliver Farrell, Austin Kendziorski
- Marquette plays in Iowa’s home spring event for the fourth time in the last three seasons, finishing as high as fifth in 2014 and 2017.
- This weekend is the final event before Marquette returns to Callawassie Island in South Carolina to defend its BIG EAST championship - the Golden Eagles have won two of the last three titles to earn the league’s automatic berth in the NCAA Championships. Matthew Bachmann (73.83, 2.33 vs. par) is the defending BIG EAST individual champion.
- MU enters its final regular season rounds with the league’s low scoring average (286.42, 0.42 vs. par), and four of the low seven scorers, led by Hunter Eichhorn’s conference-best 71.29 average (-0.21 vs. par).
- The Golden Eagles are ranked 51st in the latest Golfweek/Sagarin ratings, and 60th in the Golfstat rankings.
- Eichhorn is No. 130 in Golfweek/Sagarin, and No. 145 in the Golfstat rankings - he is one of 16 freshmen rated in the nation’s top 150.
- Matt Murlick (72.25, 0.75 vs. par) earns the top position in the lineup this week - after a 9-over-par performance at the Puerto Rico Classic, Murlick is 3-under-par over his last six rounds entering the Hawkeye Invitational, highlighted by a second round 66 (6-under-par) at the Lake Charles Invitational. Murlick ranks 10th in the nation with seven Eagles.