Nick Nelson is the No. 4 individual seed at the 2016 BIG EAST Men's Golf Championships.
April 29, 2016
Marquette seeks to defend its BIG EAST Men’s Golf Championship beginning on Sunday, May 1 when the Golden Eagles tee it up on the Dogwood/Magnolia courses at Callawassie Island G.C. in Okatie, South Carolina.
The three-day event (May 1-3) takes place on the dual-course, par 72, 7,047-yard layout of Callawassie Island G.C. MU is in search of its third BIG EAST Championship (2008, 2015), as well as the right to advance to home NCAA Regional play in Kohler - Marquette is hosting its first-ever NCAA Regional at the Blackwolf Run G.C. Meadow Valleys Course May 16-18.
LIVE SCORING | @MUGolfLive (updated scores)
BIG EAST Preview
Tee Times: Sunday (off No. 1) - 8:40 a.m.- 9:20 a.m. CT - Monday, Tuesday - TBA (based on tournament ranking)
Marquette Lineup: Nick Nelson, Oliver Farrell, CJ Swift, Charlie Maleki, Zach Gaugert
2015 CHAMPIONSHIP SUMMARY
2016 CHAMPIONSHIP NOTES
- Marquette (304-297-296—897) overcame an eight stroke deficit in the final round and clinched its second championship in program history on Pat Sanchez’s clutch 20-foot par-saving putt on No. 18.
- Sanchez ended the event as co-champion before falling in a playoff to determine the NCAA individual autobid.
- Nick Nelson and CJ Swift played roles in the championship for MU - Nelson finished 10th (77-75-73-225) after coming in at 2-under-par on the final nine holes; Swift’s (83-77-76—236) best stretch of the tournament came on three straight birdies from No. 9 to No. 11 in the final round.
- Marquette was selected to play in the 2015 NCAA Noblesville, Indiana Regional, finishing 11th.
- Marquette is the No. 2 seed in the 2016 Championships - the Golden Eagles were the No. 1 seed last year.
- MU had a nine-event team scoring average of 293.96, just behind No. 3 Georgetown’s 293.13; Xavier is the No. 1 seed by virtue of head-to-head results vs. league teams.
- Nick Nelson is MU’s top seed and the No. 4 individual seed - Nelson (73.31 avg.) is playing in his third BIG EAST Championship (2014 -T-21, 232; 2015 - 10th, 225).
- Oliver Farrell and Charlie Maleki are playing in their first championships - Farrell is seeded sixth in the Championships (73.00 avg.) - his scoring average was fourth in the BIG EAST during the regular season; Maleki has played in three straight events since the end of the March to earn a spot in MU’s starting five.
- CJ Swift plays his fourth BIG EAST Championship - his best finish was T-7 in 2014 (223).
- Zach Gaugert, who missed last year’s Championship, will play in his third - he finished 13th in 2014 (227).
Top Team Finish/Tournament - 840 (281-275-284) - 4th, Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational (Oct. 23-25)
Low Team Round - 275 - Second Round, Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational (Oct. 24)
Top Individual Finish - Oliver Farrell - 4th, Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational (Oct. 23-25)
Low Individual Tournament Score - Oliver Farrell - 208 (72-68-68, 8-under-par), Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational (Oct. 23-25)
Low Individual Round - Nick Nelson - 65 (7-under-par), Third Round, Desert Mountain Intercollegiate (March 6)