May 10, 2018
Live Scoring/Pairings | Bryan Regional Central
BIG EAST individual champion Hunter Eichhorn and at-large selection Matt Murlick will open play in the 2018 NCAA Men's Golf Championship Bryan (Texas) Regional, hosted by Texas A&M at Traditions Club, beginning on Monday, May 14.
The 54-hole, stroke play regional will determine qualification for the NCAA Men's Golf Championship, May 25-30 at Karsten Creek G.C. in Stillwater, Oklahoma. The top five teams and top individual on a non-advancing team from the 13-team, 75-player Bryan Regional will advance to the NCAA Championships.
Eichhorn (71.76 average, 0.17 vs. par) is making his first NCAA appearance in his freshman season, while Murlick (72.24, 0.66 vs. par) was MU's top finisher (T-29) as a freshman in the 2017 NCAA Sammamish Regional. They will tee off on hole No. 1 after 9:20 a.m. CT. Pairings and scoring can be found at Golfstat.
NCAA MEN'S GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP BRYAN REGIONAL (Hosted by Texas A&M) - MAY 14-16
TRADITIONS CLUB (Par 72, 7,146 yards) - BRYAN, TEXAS
Teams (13 by seed): Texas A&M, Baylor, Clemson, Kentucky, UCLA, Ole Miss, South Carolina, San Francisco, Georgia, Mississippi State, UNC Wilmington, Northern Colorado, Bradley
Individuals (10 by seed): Michael Perras (Houston), Mitchell Meissner (Rice), Blake Elliott (McNeese State), Zander Lozano (UTSA), Mario Carmona (Rice) Hunter Eichhorn (Marquette), Lewis George (Central Arkansas), Jake Brown (Indiana), Matt Murlick (Marquette), Michael Sass (College of Charleston)
MARQUETTE'S NCAA HISTORY
- Marquette will be looking to send its first representative to the NCAA Men's Golf Championships, either via team or individual qualification, in its sixth overall try.
- Eichhorn is the first MU player to earn a solo automatic berth into NCAA regional play as an individual, while Murlick joins Mike Van Sickle as the second to earn an at-large selection. This marks the first time that Marquette has sent two individuals to NCAA regional play.
- Van Sickle competed as an individual via at-large selection in the 2007 Central Regional (T-17) and 2009 Bowling Green Regional (T-20).
- As a team, Marquette has played in NCAA regionals in 2008 (Central Regional), 2015 (Noblesville, Indiana Regional) and 2017 (Sammamish, Washington Regional). MU hosted the NCAA Kohler Regional in 2016 at the Meadow Valleys Course at Blackwolf Run G.C.
- Murlick was the team's top performer in the NCAA Sammamish Regional in 2017, shooting an 8-over-par 221 (73-77-71) to finish tied for 29th.
EICHHORN'S SEASON HIGHLIGHTS
- Eichhorn became Marquette's second straight freshman to win the BIG EAST individual championship, shooting a 2-under-par 214 (69-73-72) at Callawassie Island G.C. in MU's second place finish. Eichhorn is Marquette's fourth BIG EAST champion, overall.
- With a national ranking of No. 183, Eichhorn was the top-seeded player in the 2018 BIG EAST Championships and a first team all-conference selection.
- Eichhorn is just the third player in Marquette program history to win two or more events in the same season - he also posted a 9-under-par 204 (67-72-65) to medal at the Price's Give `Em Five Invitational Oct. 20-22.
- In addition to leading the team in scoring average, Eichhorn has seven rounds in the 60s (including a 7-under-par 65 in the second round of the Northern Intercollegiate on Sept. 24), and 16 at par or better.
- Eichhorn had three subpar rounds in a single event twice this season - the Northern Intercollegiate (71 [-1], 65 [-7], 71 [-1]) and the Lake Charles Invitational (71 [-1], 69 [-3], 71 [-1]).
- Eichhorn averages a first round score of 71.5 for the season, and his 113 birdies are fifth-most in a single season in program history.
MURLICK'S SEASON HIGHLIGHTS
- Murlick finished tied for second at the BIG EAST Championships (70-78-68--216, even par), his best career event finish and two strokes behind Eichhorn.
- Thanks to a national ranking of No. 219, Murlick earned an at-large bid to NCAA regional play.
- A First Team All-BIG EAST pick, Murlick is two-time all-conference performer in only two seasons.
- Murlick shot a career-low 66 (6-under-par) in the second round of the Lake Charles Invitational on March 26 - he carded a career-best 8-under-par 208 in the season-opening Badger Invitational Sept. 10-12.
- Murlick is 14th in the nation with seven eagles, and his 106 birdies are sixth-most in a single season at MU. On Par 5 holes, Murlick is averaging a score of 4.635, third-lowest in school history.