May 12, 2017
For the third time in program history, Marquette will play in the NCAA Men’s Golf Championships when the 13th-seeded Golden Eagles tee off on Monday (May 15) in the Sammamish Region, hosted by the University of Washington at Aldarra G.C.
Regional championship play consists of 54 holes over three days; of the 14 teams and five individuals in the region, the top five and the top individual not on an advancing team will move on to the NCAA Championships, May 26-31 at Rich Harvest Farms G.C. in Sugar Grove, Illinois.
Marquette opens play on Monday off the No. 1 tee at Aldarra G.C., playing with 14th-seeded Bryant and the five individuals, at 11:50 a.m. CT. Tee times for Tuesday and Wednesday will be set by score at the end of rounds one and two.
2017 NCAA SAMMAMISH REGION - HOSTED BY WASHINGTON
ALDARRA G.C. (Par 71, 6,885 yards) - MAY 15-17
Live Scoring/Tee Times | Region Central | NCAA Championship Field
FIELD (14, plus five individuals):
2) Kent State
3) Texas A&M
4) Florida State
7) San Diego State
9) Penn State
11) Michigan State
MARQUETTE LINEUP: 1) Oliver Farrell, 2) Matthew Bachmann, 3) Henry Klongland, 4) Matt Murlick, 5) Austin Kendziorski
- The Sammamish Region features nine top-50 teams, highlighted by No. 1 overall seed USC, and seven players in the Golfweek/Sagarin top-50.
- Marquette’s 2016-17 meetings with the Sammamish Region field: Alabama (Desert Mountain Intercollegiate), Michigan (Windon Memorial, Desert Mountain Intercollegiate), USC (The Goodwin), UTEP (Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational), Washington (The Goodwin).
MARQUETTE’S NCAA HISTORY
- MU is playing in its third NCAA regional as a team - three-time All-American Mike Van Sickle (2005-09) played in two NCAA regionals as an individual (2007, 2009).
- MU’s first appearance was in 2008 in the Central Regional at the Scarlet Course in Columbus, Ohio when the Golden Eagles finished 24th of 26 teams (314-299-317—930).
- In 2015, under the current championship format, Marquette was seeded 12th and finished 10th in the Noblesville, Indiana Region at The Sagamore Club (306-290-308—904).
- Marquette did not participate, but hosted the 2016 NCAA Kohler Region at Blackwolf Run G.C.
- In ten 54-hole events this season, Marquette has six top-five finishes as a team, highlighted by the BIG EAST Championship victory, and five top-five individual finishes.
- First Team All-BIG EAST selection Oliver Farrell (72.42, 0.91 vs. par) is MU’s scoring average leader entering NCAA regional play - Farrell has MU’s top finish in eight of 12 events in 2016-17, and 12 of his 21 career starts.
- Farrell’s season scoring average, if the season ended today, would be the fourth-lowest in program history. His career 72.78 average is the second lowest all-time at Marquette.
- Farrell’s eight eagles this season are 11th-most in the nation.
- BIG EAST Freshman of the Year Matthew Bachmann (74.15, 2.42 vs. par) plays in his first event since taking the league’s individual title at Callawassie Island G.C. (73-71-72—216, even par). Prior to his first collegiate win, Bachmann’s best 54-hole finish was T-10 at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational (211, 5-under-par).
- Eight of Marquette’s 14 sub-70 rounds this season have come from freshmen, including four from Bachmann and three from Second Team All-BIG EAST pick Matt Murlick (74.21, 2.70 vs. par).