Senior Henry Klongland appears in Marquette's starting five for the first time since 2014.
Sept. 9, 2016
With a new-look roster and a fresh starting lineup, Marquette opens its 2016-17 men’s golf season with the first of five fall events Sunday-Tuesday (Sept. 11-13) at the Badger Invitational, hosted by Wisconsin at University Ridge G.C. in Madison.
After fielding a roster and typical lineup with a four-man senior class in 2015-16, MU debuts the new year with one senior, two juniors, three sophomores and three freshmen.
BADGER INVITATIONAL - SEPT. 11-13 | Live Scoring, Tee Times
UNIVERSITY RIDGE G.C. (Par 72 — 7,259 yards) - VERONA, WIS.
Field: Butler, Drake, Illinois State, Iowa State, Kansas State, Marquette, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota State, Rutgers, South Dakota State, Wisconsin, Wofford
Marquette Lineup: Oliver Farrell, Henry Klongland, Charlie Maleki, Ferdinand Müller, Matt Murlick; Garrett Loomis (ind.)
2015-16 SEASON REVIEW
- Marquette finished fourth (299-293-306—898) at the 2016 BIG EAST Men’s Golf Championships - Georgetown topped the field at Callawassie Island G.C. to win its third BIG EAST crown.
- Graduated senior Nick Nelson (73.38/round) and current sophomore Oliver Farrell were All-BIG EAST selections.
- Farrell turned in one of the best seasons for an MU freshman in recent memory - he finished sixth in conference scoring average (73.23/round) and ended the season 350th in NCAA Division I scoring. His season average is fourth-best in a single campaign in Marquette program history. In addition, Farrell was named BIG EAST Freshman of the Month for October 2015, after firing a 70.5 stroke average and three sub-par rounds in two events.
- Seniors Zach Gaugert, Pat Sanchez, CJ Swift and Nelson combined to play 108 rounds for the Golden Eagles last season.
- MU begins its five-event Fall semester calendar at University Ridge; the fall season includes the Marquette Intercollegiate at Milwaukee C.C. Oct. 2-3. This year marks the fourth in a row that MU has hosted a home event - the previous three were at Erin Hills, G.C., site of the 2017 U.S. Open. Erin Hills is not available for play this October as preparations begin for the course’s first major and Wisconsin’s first U.S. Open in June 2017.
- The 2016 Badger Invitational is Marquette’s first team trip to Madison since the fall of 2014 - the Golden Eagles finished fifth in the event that season (287-299-304).
- Henry Klongland, Charlie Maleki and Garrett Loomis have played collegiate competitive rounds at University Ridge - Maleki (234) played there last season as an individual, while Loomis (250, individual) and Klongland (233) both played in the event in 2014. Klongland carded an 8-over par 224 at the Badger Invite in 2013, finishing tied for 25th.
- Klongland gets his first starting spot for Marquette since 2014’s Erin Hills Intercollegiate - he only played in one event last season as an individual. His career low event is a 1-under-par 209 in his first collegiate start at The Doc Gimmler in 2013.
- Charlie Maleki rides a positive wave of momentum into the 2016-17 season - Maleki finished second behind former teammate Nick Nelson for Wisconsin State Golf Association Men’s Amateur Player of the Year honors. He finished second in local US Amateur Open qualifying (behind former MU golfer Brandon Cloete) to advance, was a semifinalist at the WSGA Match Play Championship (won by Gaugert), and third at the 115th Wisconsin State Am (won by Nelson).
- Maleki started each of Marquette’s final four events last spring, and found himself in contention entering the final round of the BIG EAST Championship after a second round 72 put him in sixth place through 36 holes.
- Three current MU players finished in the top 25 of the WSGA Amateur Player of the Year standings - Trevor Thomas was 13th, while Garrett Loomis was 25th.
- Two freshmen debut for Marquette this weekend - Ferdinand Müller and Matt Murlick. German-born Müller climbed as high as fifth in the junior ranks of the European Golf Ranking, while Murlick posted top-five finishes at the ISHA Class 3A state championships and Illinois State Junior Championships in 2015.