Nick Nelson's opening round 68 was the best for an MU player in 2015-16.
Sept. 28, 2015
GLENCOE, Illinois - Senior Nick Nelson earned a tie for 12th place with his 1-under-par 212 (68-73-71) to lead Marquette (292-291-285) in its 11th-place finish at the Windon Memorial Classic, hosted by Northwestern, at Lake Shore Country Club.
MARQUETTE QUICK HITS
- The Golden Eagles put together their best round of the season in the final round on Monday, posting the seventh-best team score in the field with a 1-over-par 285.
- Nelson, who carded a season-best 68 in the first round on Sunday, shot a final round 71 and was one of three Marquette players at even par or better on Monday.
- Nelson’s opening round featured five birdies, including three on the back nine to post MU’s low round score of the 2015-16 season. He finished 3-under-par on par-5 holes during the tournament.
- CJ Swift continued his solid play in the new season, finishing in a tie for 22nd (72-72-70) - Swift had four final round birdies, including three on the back nine, to finish 1-under-par on the last day.
- Freshman Oliver Farrell posted his first sub-par round at MU, lighting up the back nine in the final round to finish 1-under for the day. Farrell started slow, going out at 39 (3-over-par), but birdied five of the last seven holes to finish strong and come in at 31 (4-under-par).
- Farrell, a native of Worcestershire, England, tied for 33rd at 217 (77-70-70) in his first intercollegiate tournament, finishing 1-under-par in each of his final two rounds.
The Golden Eagles will host the third-annual Erin Hills Intercollegiate Oct. 4-6 at Erin Hills Golf Course, site of the 2017 U.S. Open. Erin Hills is the first of two tournaments MU will host in 2015-16, including the NCAA Kohler Region in May.
Marquette Team Scoring: 292-291-285—868
T-14 - Nick Nelson - 68-73-71—212
T-22 - CJ Swift - 72-72-70—214
T-33 - Oliver Farrell - 77-70-70—217
T-72 - Pat Sanchez - 75-76-79—230
T-72 - Zach Gaugert - 79-77-74—230
T-59 - Garrett Loomis - 74-74-76—224