Oct. 6, 2017
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Marquette's golf team ranked for first time (Oct. 6)
Live Scoring - Windon Memorial
No. 22 Marquette looks to continue its record-setting start to the 2017-18 season this weekend, when the Golden Eagles head to the Windon Memorial Classic, hosted by Northwestern at Evanston Golf Club.
Just five days removed from closing out a third-place showing at the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills, MU plays 36 holes in a pairing with host Northwestern and Penn State on Sunday and 18 on Monday.
WINDON MEMORIAL CLASSIC | SUNDAY-MONDAY, OCT. 8-9
EVANSTON GOLF CLUB (Par 70, 6,793 yards) | SKOKIE, ILL.
Teams (15): Army West Point, Columbia, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Loyola-Chicago, Marquette, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Penn State, Princeton, UC Davis, Wisconsin
Marquette Lineup: Austin Kendziorski, Hunter Eichhorn, Matthew Bachmann, Oliver Farrell, Matt Murlick; Individual - Garrett Loomis
- Marquette finished 10th in the Windon Memorial Classic in September of 2016 when it was played at North Shore Country Club in Glenview. Oliver Farrell (1-over-par) tied for eighth.
- Evanston Golf Club plays almost 1,000 yards shorter than MU’s last event, the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills. Erin Hills was the longest course in major championship history in June when it hosted the US Open.
- After his 3-under-par co-medalist finish at Erin Hills, Austin Kendziorski’s season continues to be full of highlights. Along with high overall rankings (No. 24 - Golfweek/Sagarin, No. 40 - Golfstat), his individual numbers rate highly. Kendziorski is 12th nationally with 42 birdies made, 13th with nine subpar holes and 13th with three eagles.
- As a team, MU’s 10 eagles are most in the nation and their 172 birdies are sixth-most.
- Marquette’s team power rankings this week - 8th, Golfweek/Sagarin (24-4-0 record vs. Top 100 teams); 10th - Golfstat.