Nick Nelson's recent consistent play was highlighted by 41 pars on 54 holes at Erin Hills.
Oct. 20, 2015
After a two-week break in competition, Marquette will tee it up at the Price's Give `Em Five Invitational (Oct. 23-25), hosted by UTEP at Butterfield Trail Golf Course in El Paso, Texas.
ABOUT THE PRICE'S GIVE `EM FIVE INVITATIONAL
Friday-Sunday, Oct. 23-25, 2015 - Hosted by the University of Texas El Paso
Live Scoring | Course Website
Course: Butterfield Trail Golf Course - El Paso, Texas
Yardage: 7,307 yards
Format/Tee Times: 18 holes each day; Friday, Saturday - 9 a.m. CT tee times; Sunday - 9:15 a.m. CT shotgun start
Field: Air Force, Army West Point, George Washington, Idaho, Kansas, Marquette, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Saint Mary's, Texas State, UMKC, UTEP, UTSA, Western New Mexico
Marquette Lineup: Oliver Farrell, Nick Nelson, Zach Gaugert, Garrett Loomis, Pat Sanchez
- Last time out, Marquette saw breakout performances from freshman Oliver Farrell and senior Zach Gaugert, who carded 1-under-par 215 scores to finish tied for eighth place in a stacked Erin Hills Intercollegiate field.
- Farrell and Gaugert turned in the first sub-par tournament performances for MU since Pat Sanchez fired a 1-under-par 215 to capture the 2015 BIG EAST Championship last April.
- Farrell saw his standing in the English amateur rankings (WAGR) climb to No. 48 after extending his streak of sub-par rounds to three in the opening 18 at Erin Hills, where he posted a 3-under par 69 - Farrell carded a pair of 1-over-par 73s to close the tournament.
- Farrell's team-leading 72.0 stroke average is fifth in the BIG EAST entering the weekend.
- Gaugert saved his finest collegiate tournament for his last at Erin Hills, with bookend 71s (1-under-par) - Gaugert was playing as an individual.
- Gaugert's best play at Erin Hills came on par-5 holes, where he was averaging 4.58 strokes, tied for third in the field. His 13 birdies were tied for fourth in the field.
- Steady play has carried senior Nick Nelson through nine rounds this season - his 73.44 average is 10th in the BIG EAST entering the weekend.
- Nelson had 41 par makes during the 54-hole Erin Hills Intercollegiate, tied for the most in the field.
Marquette wraps up the fall 2015 season in Carlsbad, California Nov. 2-4 at the prestigious Gifford Collegiate Championship, hosted by Omni La Costa Resort and Spa.