Nov. 10, 2016
Hunter Eichhorn, a native of Carney, Michigan and a senior at Carney Nadeau Public School, has signed a National Letter of Intent (NLI) to join the Marquette men’s golf program in 2017-18.
Between the Wisconsin Jr. PGA Tour, the Upper Peninsula Golf Association, and the WSGA, Eichhorn has won 27 junior golf events through the fall of 2016. Eichhorn is a three-time medalist at the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) Upper Peninsula Division 3 state championships.
“We are very excited to welcome Hunter to the Marquette family,” head coach Steve Bailey says. “Hunter is a tremendous competitor who exemplifies the core values of our program. It is extremely difficult to win in golf. Hunter is not just winning, he’s capturing tournaments titles by impressive margins with scores consistently in the low 60’s. His winning attitude will make an immediate impact on our program.”
- Qualified for the first round of match play at the 69th U.S. Junior Amateur after shooting a 1-under-par 143 at the Honors Course in Ooltewah, Tennessee. Eichhorn carded eight birdies over 36 holes en route to rounds of 72-71 to finish 11th of 156 players and qualify for match play (Read more about Eichhorn's run at USGA.org).
- Was the 2016 Wisconsin PGA Junior Player of the Year. In 2015-16 in the state of Wisconsin, he either won or finished runner-up in 21 of the 27 events he entered. Those events were highlighted by rounds of 62, 63, 65, 65, 66, 66, 67, 67, 68, 68.
- Twice selected to play for team Wisconsin in the Wisconsin-Minnesota Cup match.
- Fired a 62 at Royal Scot G.C. (New Franken, Wis.) in 2015 to set a course record and Wisconsin Jr. PGA record, winning the event by 12 shots.
- Finished second at the 2016 Wisconsin State Junior championships at The Bull at Pinehurst Farms.
- Shot a final round 65 at the WPGA at Blackwolf Run, winning by eight shots.
- Attends Carney Nadeau Public School, where he is one of 17 people in his class set to graduate in spring 2017. The school has approximately 70 students from K-12.
- Has posted 28 event wins in his three varsity golf seasons at Carney Nadeau.
- Three-time member of the Division 3 All-UP Team.