Nov. 10, 2017
MILWAUKEE -- Connor Brown (Los Angeles, Calif.) and Tyler Leach (Spring Valley, Wis.) have signed National Letters of Intent (NLIs) to join the Marquette men's golf team for the 2018-19 season.
"Both Connor and Tyler exemplify the traits that are important to our team and university," head coach Steve Bailey says. "They are hungry to improve and I'm confident both of these young men will help elevate our program, on and off the golf course. In the recruiting process, I put a lot of emphasis on winning and both of these guys have done it at an elite level."
Brown and Leach will join a group scheduled to return seven players from 2017-18. Leach will be one of four Wisconsinites on the Marquette roster.
The Golden Eagles have won two of the last three BIG EAST Men's Golf Championships (2015, 2017), and cracked the Top-25 in the GCAA Golfweek/Bushnell Coaches Poll for the first time in school history this fall. MU is currently 22nd.
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - LOYOLA H.S.
- Medalist at the US Open Local Qualifier at Industry Hills G.C. (Eisenhower Course) on June 5, 2017, shooting a bogey-free 6-under-par 66; advanced to sectional qualifying at Big Canyon C.C./Newport Beach C.C.
- Has fired 12 sub-par rounds across USGA, Southern California Golf Association (SCGA), Junior PGA and American Junior Golf Association play from May through October of 2017, including three victories
- Tied for third at the Junior PGA Sectional Championship (69-74) in Whittier, Calif. June 29-30, 2017
- Finished tied for eighth at the SCGA Amateur Public Links Championship with a 2-under-par 212 (74-70-68) Aug. 11-13, 2017
- Four-year member of the Loyola H.S. boys varsity golf team; has led the Cubs to three straight California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Central Team Championships (2015-17)
- Three-time All-Mission League honoree (2015-17)
Bailey on Brown: "Connor's had a solid summer with some wins, and a big step in his career was qualifying for a US Open Sectional, shooting 66 in a really tough field. It proved when his game is on, he can compete at the highest level."
SPRING VALLEY, WIS. - SPRING VALLEY H.S.
- Ranked No. 1 in Wisconsin according to Junior Golf Scoreboard and the AJGA
- Collected wins in 13 of his 14 events during the 2017 season at Spring Valley with all but three rounds at par or better; two-time WIAA First Team All-State selection (2016, 2017)
- Finished tied for third at the 2017 WIAA Boys Division 3 State Championships (76-76-152) at University Ridge G.C.; won the Cadott Sectional with a 3-under-par 69 at Whispering Pines G.C.
- Won Division 3 state championship in 2016 (73-73-146) at University Ridge
- Member of Team Wisconsin in the MN-WI PGA Junior Cup matches in 2016 and 2017, along with current Marquette starter Hunter Eichhorn
- Finished tied for second (72-69-72-213) at the WSGA Junior Boys Championship Aug 7-9, 2017 at the Legend at Bristlecone, a stroke behind Eichhorn
Bailey on Leach: "Tyler's had a lot of national junior experience and and I've been impressed by his ability to win. He's a scrappy competitor with a great on-course demeanor."