Dec. 1, 2015
MILWAUKEE -- Matthew Bachmann and Ferdinand Müller have signed National Letters of Intent (NLIs) to join the Marquette University men’s golf program for the 2016-17 season.
“Both Matt and Ferdi bring a wealth of experience at the highest level and I’m confident they will make an immediate impact on our program,” MU head coach Steve Bailey says. “They have accomplished resumes on the junior and amateur levels, and they share our team's passion to embrace competition and know what it takes to win.”
Matthew Bachmann - Sheboygan Falls, Wis. (Sheboygan Falls)
- Had 14 top-10 finishes in Wisconsin amateur events, including two Future Collegiate World Tour wins (at Notre Dame, Whistling Straits), and was runner-up at the 114th Wisconsin State Amateur Championship in August 2015, where he tied with MU senior Pat Sanchez.
- Was individual runner-up at the 2015 WIAA Boys Division 2 State Championship; Bachmann has posted 21 tournament titles in his high school career.
- At the WIAA New Holstein Sectional in 2014, Bachmann fired a course record 65 at Badger Creek Golf Course to win by nine strokes.
- Has been named Eastern Wisconsin Conference player of the year three times while earning a spot on the Golf Coaches Association of Wisconsin (GCAW) All-State team two straight years.
- Was the youngest player in Wisconsin amateur golf history to qualify for the State Open, earning a spot in the field at 14 years old in 2012; Bachmann has qualified three times for the event.
- Finished 14th in the 2015 WSGA Amateur Player of the Year points standings.
Ferdinand Müller - Reinnigen, Germany
- Competes with the Baden-Württemberg Golf Club team - has been a part of two German team champions with the club.
- Currently fifth in the German junior ranks of the European Golf Ranking - has posted a 74.8 stroke average in eight junior events in 2015.
- Was eighth at the Spanish U-18 International Stroke Play Championship in September 2015; has six top-25 junior finishes this season.
- Advanced to the third round of the British Boys at Royal Birkdale - defeating the fifth ranked junior from England, Gian-Marco Petrozzi in the second round.
- Shot a course record 67 (5-under-par) at Golf Club Stahlberg in 2013.