Joe Dunn leads lacrosse past Georgetown, 11-10

March 25, 2017

Box Score | Box Score (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senior attackman Joe Dunn scored a career-high four goals and picked up three ground balls as the Marquette University men’s lacrosse team won its BIG EAST Conference opener over Georgetown, 11-10, on Saturday afternoon at Cooper Field.

“Joe Dunn showed the guys what playing inspired looked like and I’m really proud of him,” Marquette head coach Joe Amplo said of the day’s leading scorer who lost his paternal grandmother, Gertrude Dunn, last Saturday and attended her funeral yesterday. “He played like a senior with something to prove and he looked like he was having fun.”

Dunn scored Marquette’s final two goals and was able to gain a ground ball off the final face-off to preserve possession for the Golden Eagles. Amplo and Dunn shared an embrace on the sideline as the final second ticked off the game clock.

“I told him I loved him and those are special moments,” Amplo said.

Classmate Grant Preisler and junior Tanner Thomson each posted a pair of goals for the Golden Eagles (4-2, 1-0 BIG EAST), who open league play 1-0 for the second year in a row. Marquette is also now 14-4 all-time in games decided by a single goal in program history.

“It’s huge (to start BIG EAST play with a win),” Amplo said. “It’s always a battle in the BIG EAST, always a battle with these guys. To get off on a 1-0 start with a game like this, with a win at the end, I couldn’t ask for more.”

Junior goalie Cole Blazer made 14 saves for MU, while Nick Marrocco had 10 for the Hoyas (2-7, 0-1 BIG EAST), who had two-goal efforts from Jake Carraway, Daniel Bucaro, Devon Lewis and Peter Conley.

Marquette built a 5-0 advantage to begin the afternoon before the Hoyas answered with their first goal with 8:59 remaining in the second quarter. MU was able to tack on another pair of goals to exit the second quarter with a 7-3 halftime edge.

Georgetown eventually cut its deficit to a single goal early in the fourth quarter, but Marquette was able to hold off the Hoya charge late by alternating the final six goals of the game. Thomson scored MU’s ninth goal after picking up a blocked John Wagner shot in front of the cage, while Dunn posted Marquette’s final two goals.

Jake Carraway had a final shot to tie with a second remaining in regulation, but the shot went wide after MU did its best to kill off the final minute.

The Golden Eagles resume action on Tuesday, March 28 at noon Central time against Air Force at Valley Fields.

Keep up with the Marquette men’s lacrosse program all season long through social media by following on Twitter (@MarquetteMLax) and Instagram (@MarquetteMLax) and ‘liking’ on Facebook (/MarquetteLacrosse).




bid today online auctions