Men's Soccer Prevails Over No. 22 Michigan In Shootout

Aug. 20, 2009


NCAA box score not available

KENTWOOD, Mich. - Senior goalkeeper Matt Pyzdrowski stopped three shots and freshman Andy Huftalin delivered on Marquette's fifth and final shot attempt Thursday to lift the Golden Eagles over Michigan in a penalty kick shootout, 3-2.

In front of 1,500 fans on neutral turf at Pat Patterson Field, Michigan looked especially sharp early on with a few opportunities in front of the net, including three shots on goal in the first half.

Head coach Louis Bennett's squad was eventually able to neutralize the Wolverines' attack through better ball possession, creating some opportunities of their own.

Perhaps MU's best chance to take an early lead came on a cross from sophomore Amilcar Herrera in the 25th minute that freshman Andrew Krynski volleyed directly at Michigan goalkeeper Chris Blais.

Michigan was awarded a direct free kick in the 60th minute that ricocheted off the Marquette wall. Sophomore Calum Mallace turned and led a 3-on-2 break, finding classmate Anthony Colaizzi who fired from the top corner of the box, but resulted in one of four saves by Blais.

Both teams scrambled to tally a score as tensions mounted late in the second half, but to no avail. No overtime periods were played as the teams and officials decided to proceed directly to the penalty kick tiebreaker.

Pyzdrowski, who played all 90 minutes between the posts and made four saves during regulation, made diving stops on three of Michigan's first four PK attempts. Mallace and newcomer Ryan Robb each found the back of the net before the Wolverine's tied it at 2-2 off the right foot of Alex Wood.

With one penalty kick remaining, Marquette left it to Huftalin whose snap deflected off the cross bar and into the goal for the decisive score.

Marquette continues their exhibition slate Saturday at Valparaiso. Kick off is set for 5 p.m. Central at Eastgate Field.

NCAA box score not available




bid today online auctions