Men's Soccer Falls to Milwaukee in Season Opener, 4-2

Sept. 1, 2010

Box Score (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader | Box Score (html) |  Photo Gallery 

MILWAUKEE -- The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee men's soccer team defeated Marquette University by a final tally of 4-2 in the regular-season opener for both teams Wednesday. It was believed to be the largest crowd ever to see a men's soccer match at Valley Fields with 2,089 fans in attendance. 


Marquette (0-1-0) got a goal from sophomore forward Chris Madsen to level the match with 18 seconds left to play in the first half. Madsen took a throw in from junior Calum Mallace, raced to the top of the box and blasted a shot inside the far post to knot the score at 1-1.

"We definitely came out with energy," said Madsen. "Every derby match you're going to come out ready to go. To get the goal before half was really big, and we carried that energy over into the second half."

The Golden Eagles were also beneficiaries of an own goal scored by the Panthers (1-0-0) in the 90th minute on a corner kick that deflected off a UWM defender, but that was all the scoring MU was able to manage despite numerous opportunities.

MU was whistled for offside five times during the match, including four times in the first half on close calls that would have led to wide-open chances. MU ended up with 12 shots on the night with eight shots on goal by seven different players.

Andrew Wiedabach got the action going with his goal in the 31st minute to give the Panthers a 1-0 lead. Wiedabach beat his marker to a through ball to the middle of the field and finished inside the far post.

Ross Van Osdol tallied UWM's second goal at the 76:54 mark to give the Panthers a 2-1 lead. Van Osdol went top shelf from 40 yards out on MU starting goalkeeper Keenan Flynn, who finished the evening with four saves. Moments earlier, however, Golden Eagles defender Matt Stummer had a shot ricochet off the post that would have given MU the advantage.

"When we created a wide-open chance with Stummer, and he pinged it square off the post, that turned the game," said MU head coach Louis Bennett. And you see this alot in soccer. The momentum swing was in our favor. If we hit that ball in the net, then it's a different game."

UWM went on to tack on two more goals -- both by Edison Crespo -- one minute, 10 seconds apart from each other in the 88th and 89th minute, respectively, to give UWM a sizeable lead.

"We're obviously bitterly disappointed," Bennett added. "I'm disappointed for our lads, because they prepared well. The fact is when the game has these momentum swings, we have to be tough enough to close in. It was a great college derby. We just came out on the wrong side of it."

Both squads had their fair share of action on the offensive end as Milwaukee outshot the Golden Eagles 17-12 for the match. MU had seven corner kicks to the Panthers' seven.

With the win, UWM hoisted the Milwaukee Cup trophy for the first time since 2006. MU defeated the Panthers each of the last two seasons and the two squads settled for a 1-1 draw in 2007.

MU will have its next opportunity against a non-conference opponent this Sunday, Sept. 5, when the Golden Eagles travel to Western Illinois before returning home to host Florida Gulf Coast, Valparaiso and Santa Clara in the Marquette Invitational, Sept. 10-12.




bid today online auctions