Men's Soccer
Men's Soccer Falls at No. 14 Loyola Marymount, 2-1

Dan Addis scored his second goal of the season in MU's 2-1 loss to Loyola Marymount.

Dan Addis scored his second goal of the season in MU's 2-1 loss to Loyola Marymount.

Sept. 2, 2006

Box Score | Highlights

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The Marquette men's soccer team battled back from a 1-0 deficit to force a tie, but gave up a late goal in a 2-1 loss to no. 14 Loyola Marymount.

Dan Addis' strike, his second of the season, knotted the score in the 56th minute. Addis took a counter attack, found space in between Loyola Marymount defenders and blasted in the shot from 18 yards out. The shot was one of two shots MU had on the day as the Golden Eagles were playing a low pressure, counter style against the speedy Loyola Marymount team.

"We had a stretch of 20 minutes where we were executing the game plan well," head coach Louis Bennett said. "In that 20 minutes we scored our goal. We had been countering and had opportunities. Addis wriggled free in space on a counter and struck a beautiful ball to the bottom left corner. We had been working on finishing attempts on practice. He had patience and did what he should. It showed that what we do in practice can work if we execute properly."

Loyola Marymount (2-1) got on the board first, scoring in the sixth minute. Bobby Burling struck an 18 yard shot on an assist from Adam Sloustcher and Michael Ogletree.

"It took us some time to get into our scheme," Bennett said. "They played at a faster pace than we have seen. Trouble shooting at this speed is much different, and we took some time to adjust. Not that we weren't ready or able to play at this speed, we just haven't had to yet. We want to play at this speed, so it was a good indicator for us as to what we will see in the BIG EAST."

Marquette (1-1-1) kept the score tied for nearly 20 minutes before the Lions scored the decisive goal. Brad Stisser scored on assists from Alex Proana and David Niemeyer.

"Soccer has its ebbs and flows and as we got caught when the game started to ebb their way. They started to play in one of their high points and we started to play in a low point and we gave up the goal," Bennett added. "The last 10 minutes were kind of hectic and they could have scored another goal if it weren't for a good save by Matt Pyzdrowski."



Despite being outshot 18-2, Marquette's defense kept the chances from being too dangerous. Loyola Marymount only had three shots on goal.

Bennett said the contest served as good preparation for what the team is expecting to face in the BIG EAST season.

"We're fortunate to play top quality soccer in our conference. Not every team has that chance," he said. "We scheduled this game to get a taste of the speed and style of soccer we are going to face in conference play."

Despite the loss, Bennett was positive about his team's outcome.

"I'm never happy about a loss, but we did some things that were positive today and we have to build on that," he added.

Marquette has been struggling due to injury, but is expecting to have several players return to practice in the coming days. Among those coming to practice is freshman Michael Greene, who was cleared to play by the NCAA this week.

"It will be nice for us to have more players available in practice," Bennett said. "We have been training well, but we can start training at a faster speed with more players that are healthy."

The Golden Eagles return to action on Tuesday, September 5 when they visit Wis.-Green Bay at 7 p.m. in Green Bay, Wis.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
Big East NCAA Marquette University Learfield