Marquette Comes From Behind to Top Michigan, 2-1

Paul Dillon tallied an assist on MU's first goal

Sept. 14, 2012

Box Score (html) | Box Score (pdf) Get Acrobat Reader

MILWAUKEE - Marquette University came back from a goal down to defeat the University of Michigan, 2-1, in non-conference men's soccer action Friday night at Valley Fields, rallying on a pair of second-half scores by redshirt freshman Axel Sjoberg.

With the win, head coach Louis Bennett and the Golden Eagles improve their record to 6-0-0 overall marking the first time in the 48-year history of the men's soccer program that the team has rattled off six consecutive victories to start a season.

Sjoberg's decisive goal broke a 1-1 tie in the 63rd minute. Sebastian Jansson had a shot on frame that was deflected by a Michigan defender. John Pothast got control of the ball and unleashed another strike from just outside the six-yard box that again was blocked by the defense. However, Sjoberg was there for the second rebound, settled the ball at his feet and flicked it into the net on a nifty back-heel on eventual game-winner.

While Marquette showed flashes early in the match, the Wolverines (2-3-0) were the more dangerous side in the first half. Michigan eventually broke through, tallying the opening goal with 32 seconds left in the first period to make it 1-0 at halftime.

Michigan's Tyler Arnone connected with teammate T.J. Roehn on a wall pass at the top of the box. Arnone's conversion from 16 yards was his first goal of the season and the first score allowed by Marquette since its season-opening win on Aug. 24, ending a four-game shutout streak by the Golden Eagles in the process.

MU opened the second half by controlling much more of possession and was able to equalize in the 51st minute to level the match at 1-1. Junior Paul Dillon served Marquette's first corner kick of the second half into the penalty area where he found the head of the 6-foot-7 Sjoberg, who headed it past Michigan keeper Adam Grinwis.

Meanwhile, Marquette goalkeeper Charlie Lyon made a pair of key stops in the 57th minute and 59th minute, respectively, to keep the score even. He snuffed out a one-on-one opportunity by Michigan's James Murphy, who found himself alone in the box following a nicely played through ball by teammate Luke Coulson.

Moments later, Lyon made a diving save on a shot taken by Roehn that Dillon ultimately had to clear off the line at the far post.

Lyon finished the night with a season- and career-high seven saves and faced 15 shots total, as MU has not out-scored its opponents 9-1 in the team's last five games.

Marquette's lack of offensive rhythm in the first half could have been attributed to the absence of central midfielder Bryan Ciesiulka, who sat out the team's previous match against Western Illinois last Saturday with an ankle injury. Ciesiulka came on in the second half Saturday, and was limited to roughly 35 minutes of action.

The Golden Eagles continue the BIG EAST/Big Ten Challenge on Sunday, Sept. 16 when they travel to East Lansing, Mich., to take on Michigan State (1:30 p.m. CT). MU has never defeated the Spartans in four previous match-ups, which includes last year's 1-1 draw at Valley Fields.

Marquette Starters: Lyon (GK), Dillon, Sjoberg, Robb, Lysak, Selvaggi, E. Pothast, Jansson, Hermsen, J. Pothast, Islami (Subs: Ciesiulka, Huftalin)




bid today online auctions