Notre Dame Tops Marquette, 4-1

Oct. 13, 2010

Box Score (html) | Box Score (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader

NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- Notre Dame (6-3-3, 3-1 BIG EAST) tallied three first-half goals en route to a 4-1 victory over Marquette University (4-4-4, 1-1-2) in BIG EAST Conference divisional men's soccer action Wednesday from Alumni Stadium. The loss was MU's first since Sept. 17, snapping the Golden Eagles' six-game unbeaten streak.

"We identified at halftime where the issues were and how we could overcome them," said MU head coach Louis Bennett. "Obviously, it was a tall task and we bounced back. We are a very thick-skinned team. Once we stopped the bleeding, we actually started to put together our game. [Notre Dame] are a good team, especially at home, and they punish you if you make mistakes."

Notre Dame, ranked No. 21 in this week's Soccer America poll, didn't waste any time using its home-field advantage to put away the Golden Eagles, as the Irish found the back of the net three times in the first 30 minutes of action.

The Irish went on the scoreboard just three minutes in when Harrison Shipp passed back to Dillon Powers who was unmarked inside the right corner of the 18-yard box. Powers blasted a one-timer across the box and inside the left post to make it 1-0.

Shipp finished with three assists on the evening. He found Michael Rose, who crossed it in to Steven Perry for Notre Dame's second score at the 10:54 mark, and later sent a long cross to Adam Mena, who went top shelf from 25 yards out to make it 3-0.

"Today we just couldn't make the adjustments in time, because we had too many new players at new positions," said Bennett. "When you look at the first half, there was one difference and that was in the box and in the final third, they were better than us. The speed that we could defende just was not there in the first 30 minutes."

Notre Dame exploited a depleted MU backline, which was without freshman Eric Pothast, who had started every match this season at central defender. Senior left back Anthony Colaizzi also came of the pitch midway through the first half after picking up an early yellow card.

Marquette came out strong offensively in the second half, looking more poised than the first stanza. Sophomore Chris Madsen tallied his third goal of the season when he finished from the top of the box in the 56th minute, assisted by junior Calum Mallace.

Madsen's goal made it 3-1 in favor of the Irish, but Perry struck again in the 62nd minute to once more widen the margin. Perry split a pair of MU defenders on the left side of the field and got off a shot that snuck inside the far post.

It was the most goals allowed by Marquette since its 4-2 loss to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the season opener. Meanwhile, the Golden Eagles have now scored in each of their last seven contests to show that they can consistently produce on the offensive end.

Senior goalkeeper Keenan Flynn played the final 20 minutes in place of David Check. It was Flynn's first appearance since the regular season opener.

"Once we lick out wounds, we'll get used to the fact that we did miss out on points," said Bennett. "We'll be better prepared for when we play Syracuse and will be more aware of how we'll problem solve at the back."

The Golden Eagles return home to Valley Fields to host the Orange in a cross-divisional match this Saturday, Oct. 16 at 7:05 p.m. CT.




bid today online auctions