No. 7 Marquette Ties Villanova 1-1

Louis Bennett II
Oct. 18, 2014

Box Score (html) | Box Score (pdf) Get Acrobat Reader |

Tactical Highlights | Coach Bennett post-match

MILWAUKEE -- Led by a late equalizing goal by Louis Bennett II, the No. 7 Marquette University men's soccer team (7-3-1, 1-1-1 BIG EAST) tied with Villanova 1-1 (2OT) with Villanova (6-5-2, 1-2-1) Saturday night at Valley Fields.

In what was a very physical match throughout all 110 minutes, Marquette was able to keep its home unbeaten streak alive at nine matches, despite the consecutive home shutout minutes streak for goalkeeper Charlie Lyon and the MU defense coming to an end at 699:22 minutes.

"I say we got a point from an extremely physical situation and extremely difficult opponent to play and there was no flow of the game," said head coach Louis Bennett.

Down 1-0 and looking for the equalizer with under two minutes to play in regulation, Sebastian Jansson dribbled around a few defenders into the 18-yard box where he then crossed it to Bennett II. The sophomore took one touch to settle the ball before depositing it to the top shelf to tie up the match with 1:04 left on the clock.

After two 10-minute overtime periods, both sides remained tied at one, earning both MU and VU one point in the BIG EAST Conference standings. MU owned the run of play for much of the match as displayed by the large disparities in favor of the Golden Eagles in shots (24-13) and corner kicks (16-6).

"We had a lot of opportunities that we didn't capitalize on," said Bennett. "During the game that can have an amounting effect of frustration and then it escalates. In the 89th minute, we put it in and it was a touch of quality and I thought it was well deserved."

The Wildcats gained an early 1-0 advantage in the 17th minute. Villanova senior midfielder Oscar Umar got a shot off from 12 yards out from the left side of the 18-yard box that was blocked by Charlie Lyon. Senior forward Hayden Harr, Villanova's leading goal scorer, found separation and tapped in the rebound for a lead that would be held for 72 minutes.

It was the first time Marquette had trailed at Valley Fields since Oct. 26, 2013.

The goal by Harr snapped Lyon's consecutive shutout minutes streak at home that spanned over 11 and a half hours. Before the match, Marquette had shutout its last eight opponents at "The Valley."

MU's first big scoring chance of the first half came in the 31st minute. A through ball to C. Nortey left the Ghanaian striker alone on the right side of the 18-yard box. His shot was blocked by Steiner, who charged from his post, and was then punched out of bounds for an MU corner kick.

A Coco Navarro shot in the 68th minute nearly tied things up in the second half. Adam Hermsen cut into the box before sending the ball across the middle of the 18-yard box to Navarro. The Inglewood, California, native's volley attempt was sent just high of the crossbar.

Marquette's 16 corners were a season high, recording ten of them in the first half alone. For the second match this season, the Blue & Gold registered over 20 shots, reaching 24 against the Wildcats.

Since the start of the 2012 regular season, the Golden Eagles have posted a record of 22-3-3 at Valley Fields.

Tonight's match was the first of a three-game homestand for the MU men's soccer team. Next time out they take on Providence on Wednesday, Oct. 22 at 7:05 p.m. Central time in what will be a makeup game from earlier in the season when the previously scheduled match was postponed due to travel issues for the Friars.

Marquette Starters: Lyon; Taylor, Sjoberg, Pothast, Hermsen; Wahl, McBride, Bennett II; Navarro, Nortey, Selvaggi; Subs: Szczepanek, Trude, Jansson, Alberts




bid today online auctions