No. 15 Marquette and No. 23 Providence Tie 1-1

Jake Taylor
Oct. 22, 2014

Box Score (html) | Box Score (pdf)Get Acrobat Reader | Highlights | Bennett Post-Match

MILWAUKEE -- In a rematch of the 2013 BIG EAST Men's Soccer Championship final, the No. 15 Marquette University men's soccer team (7-3-3, 1-1-3 BIG EAST) and the visiting No. 23-ranked Providence Friars (8-2-2, 3-0-2) played to a 1-1 draw on Wednesday, Oct. 22 at Valley Fields.

After MU's Jake Taylor leveled the match midway through the second half, both teams failed to find the back of the net in the two overtime periods. The Golden Eagles remain unbeaten at home in its last 10 matches overall dating back to last season (8-0-2) and keeps a stellar home record of 22-3-4 since the start of the 2012 campaign. The Friars remain unscathed in BIG EAST play.

Providence got on the scoreboard with less than five minutes remaining in the first half. Julian Gressel intercepted a Marquette pass in the midfield before dribbling 20 yards and depositing it inside the left post from just outside the 18-yard box.

Marquette found the equalizer in the 63rd minute from the left foot of Taylor. After receiving a pass from Alex McBride, the sophomore defender sent a cross from a wide angle intended C. Nortey on the near post, but Taylor's low pass deflected off a Providence defender and into the back of the net.

MU was almost able to ride off into the sunset with three points late in the second half. With nine seconds left in regulation, Louis Bennett II curled a free kick from 25 yards out that clanked off the top of the crossbar. Before hitting the bar, the shot was tipped by Providence keeper Keasel Broome for the second of three saves on the night.

MU had other scoring chances in the second half. In the 74th minute, David Selvaggi got a shot past the Friars' defense, but his attempt went straight to Broome for a save. A few minutes later, Alex McBride had a well-struck shot from 18 yards out blocked by another defender.

MU's one and only strike of the first half didn't come until 22 minutes in, a shot that sailed over the crossbar by Bennett II. MU picked it up offensively in the second half and overtime periods, finishing with 11 shots overall. The Friars finished with 13 shots, meaning an opposing team outshot MU for the first time since a Sept. 7 home win against Oregon State.

Providence had a chance for the go-ahead in the 14th minute. Marquette goalkeeper Charlie Lyon came off his line to win a tackle outside the 18-yard box. That left an open goal for Mac Steeves who got off two shots - the first was blocked by John Pothast, while Lyon recovered to make an easy save on the second.

Lyon finished with five saves, tying an individual season-high.

Tonight's match was originally scheduled for Sept. 27, but had to be postponed due to travel issues for the Friars.

MU concludes its current three-game homestand this Saturday, Oct. 25 at 7:05 p.m. Central time when the Golden Eagles host No. 16 Xavier at Valley Fields.

Marquette Starters: Lyon; Taylor, Sjoberg, Pothast, Hermsen; Wahl, McBride, Bennett II; Jansson, Nortey, Selvaggi; Subs: Alberts, Szczepanek, Navarro




bid today online auctions