Golden Eagles Fall 3-0 at West Virginia

Oct. 27, 2010

Box Score (html) | Box Score (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia handed the Marquette University men's soccer team a 3-0 loss Wednesday night at Dick Dlesk Stadium, scoring all three of its goals in the final 21 minutes of regulation. It was the third straight loss for the Golden Eagles, who still have postseason aspirations with one match remaining on the ledger.

"Based upon our lineup and our potential postseason situation, the game plan was to defend our own half territory to prevent them from getting in behind us, and then for us to break," said head coach Louis Bennett, who watched from the stands Wednesday while serving his NCAA-mandated one-game suspension for receiving a red card last weekend at Georgetown. "To round this game up, it was a valiant effort by our lads."

Marquette traveled without three of its regular starters -- Michael Alfano, Amilcar Herrera and Eric Pothast -- due to injury. Fellow starters Anthony Colaizzi and Anthony Selvaggi both rested while leading scorer Calum Mallace, along with freshman midfielder Bryan Ciesiulka, saw a combined 20 minutes on the pitch.

With so many key players on the sideline, the Golden Eagles played a 4-4-2 the entire match. While the tactical game plan favored a defensive approach, the two forwards up top posed an early challenge for the WVU backline.

MU's best chance to score came in the 21st minute. Sophomore forward Chris Madsen split two defenders and, with a burst of speed, raced to the top of the box where he ripped a shot directly at WVU goalkeeper Zach Johnson. Madsen left his defender a clear three yards behind him that lead to the wide-open look at goal.

Madsen's strike was the lone shot on goal for the Golden Eagles (5-7-4, 2-4-2 BIG EAST) while their counterparts outshot them by an 18-3 margin, including 10 shots on target and an 11-2 advantage on corner kicks.

The second half started out fairly pedestrian until back-to-back headers by WVU (9-5-2, 5-3-0 BIG EAST) in the 62nd minute, the second of which resulted in a masterful save by Check. However, it was a matter of time before the Mountaineers would finally capitalize.

WVU broke the scoreless tie in the 69th minute when Dan Hagey beat his defender to the endline and crossed it back to the middle of the box where Franck Tayou punched it in for the opening tally. Another cross less moments later - this one from the right side of the field - found Abel Sebele to make it 2-0.

"Part of the disadvantage to playing reserves is their lack of game fitness," said Bennett. "So I think mental fatigue, not so much physical fatigue, afforded West Virginia that extra step and extra yard to create opportunities late in the second half. Both our outside backs and midfield struggled to contain the same players they contained in the first half."

Tayou scored his second goal of the evening in the 80th minute to give the Mountaineers a 3-0 lead. His first shot deflected off of MU goalkeeper David Check. The rebound bounced right back to the feet of Tayou who then finished by beating Check top shelf.

In other BIG EAST Conference action, Providence College won its second straight with a 2-1 win over Seton Hall and moved up to fifth place in the Blue Division standings, dropping the Golden Eagles into sixth. Only the top six teams in each division advance to the league tournament in November.

Pittsburgh remains three points behind the Golden Eagles following its 3-2 loss to Notre Dame on Wednesday. Marquette turns around to host last-place Seton Hall in the regular season finale on Saturday, Oct. 30, at Valley Fields (7:05 p.m. CT), while the Panthers will take on Connecticut earlier in the day.

"We're still alive because of our body of work earlier in the season, when we had a full squad is keeping us afloat," Bennett added. "At some state, we're going to have to start sailing again. Saturday is basically the day when we have to play our strongest possible squad. Hopefully we'll get a few players back and be ready to go."

The first round of the BIG EAST Men's Soccer Championship is scheduled for Nov. 3. For more information, visit




bid today online auctions