Georgetown Tops Marquette 2-1 in BIG EAST Quarterfinal

Axel Sjoberg
Nov. 11, 2014

Box Score (html) | Box Score (pdf) Get Acrobat Reader

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A pair of early second half goals lifted the No. 3 seed Georgetown Hoyas to a 2-1 home victory Tuesday afternoon over sixth-seeded Marquette University in a BIG EAST Men's Soccer Championship quarterfinal match at Shaw Field.

"Neither team really got a full handle on the day, but Georgetown were able to handle it better," said MU head coach Louis Bennett. "The biggest difference was, the spells that they had resulted in goals. Irrespective of where either side ranks, today was a battle between two good college soccer teams. Georgetown has the capability to go on an possibly win [the College Cup]."

With the loss, defending champion Marquette (8-6-4) is eliminated from the BIG EAST tournament and awaits its NCAA postseason fate. The field of 48 will be announced the afternoon of Monday, Nov. 17.

The Hoyas (12-3-4), ranked No. 8 in this week's NSCAA/Continental Tire poll, advance to Friday's BIG EAST semifinal at PPL Park in Chester, Pa., where they will face the No. 2 seed Xavier Musketeers. Semifinal kickoff times have not yet been determined.

It was a sunny Veterans Day in the nation's capital with temperatures in the low 70s for Tuesday's midweek matinee between the two preseason conference favorites.

All three goals Tuesday were scored in a span of five minutes with Georgetown's Austin Martz notching the decisive tally at the 64:28 mark. Teammate Christopher Lema connected with Martz, who made a back-post run and beat MU goalkeeper Charlie Lyon for the game-winner.

Georgetown took a 1-0 lead in the 60th minute after an MU turnover in the midfield. Taking advantage of a 3-on-2 break, a cross intended for the Hoyas' leading scorer Brandon Allen skipped through the box, but nobody was on the far post to cover Arun Basuljevic who finished from 10 yards out.

Marquette equalized two minutes later on an own goal by the home side to level the match at 1-1.

Both teams had chances to grab the go-ahead goal in the first half. Martz had a ball saved off the line by the Golden Eagles' All-BIG EAST First Team central defender Axel Sjoberg in the 18th minute. In the 31st minute, MU forward Coco Navarro sent a shot inches wide of the left post from just inside the 18-yard box.

Minutes into the second half, the Hoyas earned a corner kick after a point-black shot by Brett Campbell deflected off the foot of Marquette's Louis Bennett II. Campbell hit the right post on the ensuing corner and it bounced around before being cleared off the line by a MU defender.

MU also had a shot cleared off the line after its own corner kick in the 70th minute that led to flurry of chances in and around the box, but to no avail.

Senior Brady Wahl, who may have played in his last collegiate game last Friday against DePaul, was a late scratch from Marquette's starting lineup Tuesday and did not play against the Hoyas. Making the start at defensive midfield in place of Wahl was freshman Driton Zyteja. MU was also without the services of starting midfielder Alex McBride, who earlier today was named to the BIG EAST All-Rookie Team.

"Sometimes, after a loss like this, it's difficult to have perspective," said Coach Bennett. "I want to congratulate the seniors for a truly stellar body of work throughout their careers, which we're all extremely proud of.

"We may not have enough to get into the NCAA tournament, but I think we are deserving especially because of our results the first half of the year. While I don't think we can hold our breathe, but we'll be keeping our eyes on it. On our best day, I still believe we are one of the best teams in the country."

Marquette Starters: Lyon; Taylor, Sjoberg, Pothast, Hermsen; Zyteja, Trude, Bennett II; Navarro, Nortey, Selvaggi; Subs: Alberts, Szczepanek, Jansson




bid today online auctions