April 13, 2018
MILWAUKEE – The Marquette University men’s soccer team looks to continue a successful spring competition season with a Sunday home doubleheader against UW-Parkside and Green Bay, following a pair of victories including a 4-1 win over crosstown foe Milwaukee on Thursday. Sunday's games are scheduled for 2:30 and 5:30 p.m. Central time inside the Valley Fields seasonal dome. Admission is free.
A LOOK BACK
• MU opened the spring competition season by defeating SIU-E, 2-1, on April 7. Freshman recruit and early enrollee Lukas Sunneson connected with a first half goals before sophomore Luka Prpa tallied the eventual game-winner. The Golden Eagles had two goals waved off due to offside infractions.
• On Thursday, a Milwaukee derby was rekindled with head coach Louis Bennett’s squad overcoming a first-half deficit to win 4-1 against the crosstown foe Panthers at Engelmann Stadium. After a quiet first half that resulted in a 1-0 lead for the hosts, Bennett’s team responded with an offensive explosion after halftime.
• Sophomore Connor Alba scored three times, while Diego Nuñez was credited with the game-winning goal. The backline, led by veteran goalkeeper Luis Barraza and centerback Ruben Sanchez, did its part in holding UWM scoreless for the final 45 minutes in what amounted to a 4-1 victory for Marquette. The team played without the services of Sunneson and 2017 leading scorer Grant Owens.
• The Golden Eagles host a doubleheader on Sunday, April 15, taking on UW-Parkside at 2:30 p.m. Central time, followed by a matchup with Green Bay at 5:30 p.m. Both matches will have free admission and take place inside the Valley Dome.
A LOOK AT SUNDAY’S OPPONENTS
• The Division II UW-Parkside Rangers finished last season with a 5-9-2 overall record. Redshirt-sophomore Leki Prpa, older brother of Marquette’s Luka Prpa, was named Second Team All-Great Lakes Valley Conference after leading the team with 21 points, highlighted with eight goals.
• The Green Bay Phoenix reached the Horizon League tournament championship game last season where it fell to UIC, 2-0, to finish the 2017 campaign with a 9-5-3 overall record. They feature a strong group of underclassmen returning for the 2018 season.
Keep up with the Marquette men's soccer program through social media by following on Twitter (@MarquetteSoccer) and Instagram (@MarquetteSoccer) and `liking' on Facebook (/MarquetteSoccer).