July 19, 2017
MILWAUKEE – Three Marquette Soccer student-athletes led their PDL teams to division titles and now gear up for playoff time, while several others competing for the local PLA Milwaukee Bavarians are eyeing a share of a western division title when they welcome in first-place Cedar Rapids on Friday. That and much more in another Marquette Soccer Summer Update:
Luka Prpa | M | OKC Energy U23 (Oklahoma City, OK) | @EnergyFCU23
- Finished the regular season with a goal on six shots and appeared in seven games for OKC.
- His last three appearances have all resulted in OKC victories, the most recent being a 1-0 triumph over Texas United back on July 15 where Prpa logged 55 minutes.
- His lone goal of the season came in a 4-1 win over Houston on the road back on June 15.
- At last check-in, OKC was in first place with a record of 9-0-0. Since then, it has gone 3-1-1, increasing its goal differential by eight goals (+29) and finishing the regular season as the Mid South Division champions for the second year in a row, holding off Mississippi Brilla FC (9-2-3) by seven points.
Next match: Friday, July 21, neutral vs. FC Miami City - 5 p.m. CT
Connor Alba | F | Seacoast United Phantoms (Hampton, NH) | @SUSC_Phantoms
- Alba has appeared in all 15 games for Seacoast United, totaling three goals and an assist on seven shots.
- Has logged 90 minutes of action in three of his last five matches, including each of the last two regular season games that resulted in a 7-4 win over AC Connecticut on Sunday and a 3-0 win at GPS Portland on July 12. In that 3-0 win, Alba netted his third score of the year on two shots.
- Seacoast United finished the regular season as Northeast Division champions with a record of 11-1-2 and an impressive +24 goal differential. They secured a 3-1 victory on Tuesday over Reading United advance to play the Charlotte Eagles in the Eastern Conference semifinals on Saturday.
Next match: Saturday, July 22, away vs. Charlotte (Playoffs) – 7:30 p.m. CT
Luis Barraza | GK | FC Tucson (Tucson, AZ) | @FCTucson
- Tied for the most appearances on the team in net with six, finishing with a record of 2-1-1 with a 1.25 GAA and an .821 save percentage. Notched the victory in his last start back on July 12, making seven saves in a 4-1 win over BYU Cougars on the road.
- FC Tucson coasted to a Mountain Division championship with a 9-2-3 mark, going unbeaten in its final nine contests. It allowed the fewest goals in the division, outscoring opponents 34-17. Tucson plays Fresno in the Western Conference semifinals on Friday.
Next match: Friday, July 21, home vs. Fresno Fuego (Playoffs), 9 p.m. CT
Milwaukee Bavarian SC | @BavarianMajors
- Marquette features five current players on Milwaukee's Premier League of America club: Cade Dombrowski, Griffin Jende, Brody Kraussel, Jordan Palmer and Ruben Sanchez, as well as, former MU standout Kelmend Islami.
- Marquette newcomer Kraussel has scored a goal in each of the team’s previous two contests, including a 2-1 win over the Croatians after penalties back on July 16, which maintained the Bavarians’ second-place edge in the PLA West Division standings with a 7-1-0 record.
- Sanchez has started every game for the Bavarians this season.
- Bavarians look to grab a share of the West Division title on Friday, July 21 when they host first-place Cedar Rapids (8-0-0) in the regular season finale.
- PLA Playoffs will be hosted by the Bavarians at Heartland Value Fund Stadium in Glendale Saturday-Sunday, July 29-30.
- Milwaukee Bavarians will alos host the USA Amateur Cup Final Four at the Bavarian Soccer Complex at Heartland Value Fund Stadium in Glendale Friday-Saturday, Aug. 4-5.
Next match: Friday, July 21, home vs. Cedar Rapids Rampage, 7 p.m. CT
Keep up with the Marquette track and field program through social media by following on Twitter (@MarquetteSoccer) and Instagram (@MarquetteSoccer) and `liking' on Facebook (/MarquetteSoccer).