Sept. 16, 2010
Match Notes (PDF) | Gametracker
EAST LANSING, Mich. – The Marquette University (1-2-1) men’s soccer team will travel to No. 19/15 Michigan State to face the Spartans as part of the Big Ten/BIG EAST Challenge. Kickoff at DeMartin Soccer Complex is set for 4 p.m. CT.
• Marquette (1-2-1) faces its first nationally ranked opponent of the 2010 season Friday when the Golden Eagles travel to East Lansing, Mich. to face the No. 19/16 Michigan State Spartans (3-1).
• Friday’s match is part of the Big Ten/BIG EAST Challenge, which also features Michigan of the Big Ten Conference as well as Notre Dame of the BIG EAST.
• Marquette will host Michigan at Valley Fields as part of the event this Sunday, Sept. 19 ( 1 p.m. CT), while Notre Dame will host Michigan on Friday before traveling to MSU Sunday to face the Spartans.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
• Michigan State’s only setback thus far was a 4-0 loss at Georgetown on Sept. 5 ... The Spartans opened the season with a 4-3 overtime win vs. No. 6 Maryland and are coming off two straight victories ... MSU has scored 12 goals in its four games and its 3.00 goals per game average is tied for eighth in NCAA Division I.
• Spencer Thompson leads MSU with eight points (2 goals, 4 assists) and is one of 10 returning starters from last year’s team that earned a berth in the 2009 NCAA tournament field ... Defensively, the Spartans have allowed just one goal in its past two matches compared to a combined seven goals allowed in its first two outings of 2010.
• Goalkeeper Avery Steinlage was named to the preseason Missouri Athletic Club’s Hermann Trophy Watch List.
LAST TIME OUT
• MU fell to Santa Clara 2-0 at Valley Fields to close out the third annual Marquette Invitational with a third-place finish following a 1-0 win over Florida Gulf Coast to open the tournament ... The Broncos took the lead in the 39th minute and later capitalized on a penalty kick in the 69th minute ... MU outshot Santa Clara 16-13 in the match, including 12-4 in the second half.
MU AGAINST NATIONALLY RANKED TEAMS (since 2008)
• Friday’s match vs. No. 19/15 Michigan State will be the 10th team the Golden Eagles will face ranked in the top 25 in the NSCAA poll going back to the 2008 season.
• Junior Calum Mallace is MU’s active leader with five career game-winning goals ... He twice notched the game-winner against Milwaukee, tallying the decisive goal in both 2008 and 2009 Milwaukee Cup matches ... He recorded two more game-winners in 2009 and has one this season.
MU TRIO EARNS INVITE HONORS
• Junior midfielders Calum Mallace and Amilcar Herrera, along with freshman defender Eric Pothast, earned Marquette Invitational all-tournament honors on Sept. 12 ... Herrera assisted on Mallace’s game-winner vs. Florida Gulf Coast in the opening match, while the two players combined for 16 shots during the tourney ... Pothast played every minute of every match and helped the backline secure MU’s second consecutive clean sheet with the 1-0 victory over FGCU.