Marquette Hosts Rutgers in BIG EAST Home-Opener
Sept. 30, 2011
MILWAUKEE- The Marquette University men's soccer team welcomes Rutgers to Valley Fields on Saturday, Oct. 1. Kickoff is set for 7:05 p.m.
• Marquette will host Rutgers for its BIG EAST Conference home-opener. After a 1-4-0 start to the 2011 season, Marquette is unbeaten in its last four matches.
• The match up with Rutgers marks the second and final BIG EAST cross-division contest for MU this season. The Golden Eagles defeated Syracuse, 3-2, in the team's conference opener on Sept. 24. Freshman C. Nortey recorded two goals, including the game-winner.
• Last season, Marquette topped Rutgers 1-0 at Yurcak Field in Piscataway, N.J., for MU's first ever BIG EAST road win. Chris Madsen scored the lone goal in the match on a diving header at the 58:36 mark. Goalkeeper David Check notched his third shutout of the season.
• Rutgers snapped a two-game losing streak on Sept. 23 beating Pittsburgh, 3-1, in its conference opener. Freshman J.P. Correa scored two goals in the match, while senior Nye Winslpw tallied one.
• The Scarlet Knights are 1-1 away from Yurcak Field this season with their last road victory coming on Sept. 4 at College of Charleston.