BIG EAST Divisional Play Begins Saturday at Providence
Oct. 6, 2011
MILWAUKEE -- Saturday, Oct. 8 marks the BIG EAST men's soccer Blue Division opener as Marquette University (4-5-2, 2-0-0 BIG EAST) puts its perfect conference record on the line and looks for its first win against nationally ranked Providence (6-3-1, 1-0-1). MU and the Friars are set for a noon CT kickoff at Glay Field in Providence, R.I.
• The Golden Eagles are 2-0-0 in conference play for the first time since 2003 and first time since joining the BIG EAST (2005).
• Marquette is one of four BIG EAST teams that is unbeaten in conference play and one of three teams with a perfect 2-0-0 league record heading into this weekend.
• Providence is ranked No. 5 in NSCAA Northeast Region and as high as No. 22 nationally, according to this week’s Soccer America poll. With a record of 1-2-1 in their last four matches following a 5-1-0 start, the Friars are coming off a 1-0 loss at Boston University. They are 4-1-0 at home heading into Saturday’s game.
• Marquette (0-5-0) is looking for its first victory against the Friars and its first road win at Providence (0-2-0).
• MU had its five-match unbeaten streak snapped Tuesday with a 1-0 double-overtime loss to regionally ranked Northern Illinois. The Huskies netted the golden goal with a perfectly placed chip shot in the 107th minute, just their third shot on goal of the match.
FOLLOW LIVE GAME ACTION
• NOTE: Live audio broadcast will not be available for this Saturday’s match at Providence. Next WMUR broadcast will be Oct. 12 vs. Notre Dame.
NATIONALLY RANKED TEAMS IN 2011
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS