Golden Eagles Travel To Notre Dame Wednesday
Oct. 12, 2010
MILWAUKEE -- Marquette University head men's soccer coach Louis Bennett and the Golden Eagles (4-3-4, 1-0-2 BIG EAST) will put their six-game unbeaten streak on the line Wednesday at Notre Dame (5-3-3, 2-1-0 BIG EAST).
Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. ET (6 p.m. CT) at Alumni Stadium. Follow along with live stats on GoMarquette.com. Live streaming video will also be available at UND.com.
MU has not lost since a 1-0 shutout at nationally ranked Michigan State on Sept. 19. Since then the Golden Eagles have gone 3-0-3 and are undefeated through their first three BIG EAST contests. Junior midfielder Calum Mallace leads the Golden Eagles' attack with nine points on three assists and three goals scored.
Sophomore goalkeeper David Check is MU's last stop behind a back line that will be without freshman standout Eric Pothast, who picked up a red card this past Saturday at Pittsburgh. Check has posted five shutouts through the team's first 11 games and is among the nation's leaders in several statistical categories.
Notre Dame is ranked No. 21 in this week's Soccer America poll. The Irish are 4-1-1 on their home turf this season, but are coming off a 2-1 setback at West Virginia this past Saturday.
The Golden Eagles rallied from a two-goal deficit to draw with Pittsburgh, 2-2, their last time out. MU has not won at Notre Dame since 1990 as the Irish have won five straights against the Golden Eagles.
• Marquette has not lost in three BIG EAST matches to open the 2010 conference slate ... MU's current six-game unbeaten streak is the second longest active streak in the conference behind Louisville (10 games), and the team's longest unbeaten streak since 2000 when MU opened the season 7-0-1.
• The Irish are 4-1-1 at home this season while the Golden Eagles are 1-1-2 on the road ... MU is undefeated (1-0-1) in two BIG EAST road contests, including 1-0 win at Rutgers on Sept. 24 ... The only road loss for the Golden Eagles this season was a 1-0 shutout at No. 19/15 Michigan State on Sept. 17.
• The Irish lead the all-time series with Marquette, 11-5-1, and have won their last five matches against the Golden Eagles ... MU's last win over the Irish was a 4-0 decision back in 1990 ... The Golden Eagles last victory at Notre Dame came during the 1983 season; their last result at Notre Dame was a 2-2 tie in 1989.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
• The Irish were picked to finish second in the Blue Division behind UConn in the BIG EAST Preseason Coaches' Poll ... Junior goalkeeper Will Walsh entered the week ranked ninth in NCAA Division I in save percentage (.875) ... Walsh has posted four shutouts in seven matches between the posts
• Offensively, Notre Dame has been paced by Steven Perry who has registered 14 points on two assists and a team-high six goals.