Marquette Preps For Wednesday Home Match Against Providence
Oct. 19, 2010
MILWAUKEE -- The Marquette University men's soccer team returns to the pitch Wednesday, Oct. 20, at 7:05 p.m. CT to host Providence College at Valley Fields. Live streaming audio and live stats on Gametracker will be available.
Coming off a 3-0 shutout over Syracuse this past Saturday, the Golden Eagles (5-4-4, 2-1-2 BIG EAST) remain unbeaten in their last four conference home matches dating back to last season. MU is currently in fifth place in the Blue Division standings going into Saturday's divisional contest against the Friars.
Providence is winless in league play with a 0-4-1 mark in the BIG EAST and is 5-5-2 overall. While the Golden Eagles have scored in eight consecutive matches, the Friars have not surrendered a goal in four previuos meetings with MU, boasting a perfect 4-0 all-time record, and are 2-0 at The Valley.
• The Golden Eagles are unbeaten in their last four conference home matches, a streak that dates back to last season ... MU owns 3-0-1 record while outscoring their BIG EAST opponents 10-1 over that stretch.
• MU is coming off a 3-0 win vs. Syracuse (Oct. 16) ... Calum Mallace scored twice and Paul Dillon netted his first collegiate goal as the Golden Eagles cruised to their largest margin of victory and sixth shutout this season.
• Both Marquette and Providence will have three conference games remaining following Wednesday’s head-to-head match up as the BIG EAST tournament picture can begin to take shape after this weekend.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
• Friars head coach Chaka Daley is in his 10th season with the program and has a 70-103-25 all-time coaching record.
• Matt Marcin and Wilder Arboleda lead the Friars in scoring with an assist and three goals apiece, and Marc Cintron has registered a team-high three assists ... Goalkeeper Jhojan Obando has played nearly every minute with three shutouts and 47 saves to compliment a 1.22 goals against average.
HOME SUCCESS AGAINST BIG EAST
WHEN MU SCORES FIRST ...
• Going back to the 2008 season opener, the Golden Eagles boast a 12-1-1 mark when they score first, outscoring their opponents 25-4 ... That stretch also includes 11 shutouts.
MALLACE IN THE MIDDLE
• Mallace’s 14 points and five goals are the most in a single season by an individual MU player since Chris Lee tallied 23 points and 10 goals during the 2004 season ... Mallace also has a team-high four assists this season, the most since Derek Gutierrez (8) in 2003.
• The Torphichen, Scotland native is MU’s active all-time leader in points (23), goals scored (9), shots (129) and shots on goal (51).
• Seven of Mallace’s nine career goals have been game-winners, including three game-winning goals this season ... His seven career game-winners is tied for fourth all-time at MU.
KEEPING OPPONENTS IN ‘CHECK’
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS