Marquette Men's Soccer Hosts Seton Hall Saturday on `Senior Night'
Oct. 29, 2010
MILWAUKEE --- With postseason implications on the line, the Marquette University men’s soccer team will play host to Seton Hall on Saturday, Oct. 30 at Valley Fields in the final match of the 2010 regular season for both squads. Kickoff versus the Pirates is slated for 7:05 p.m. CT with the Golden Eagles’ annual “Senior Night” on-field ceremony preceding the match.
Saturday’s game can be heard live on GoMarquette.com, courtesy of WMUR Marquette Radio. Live stats will also be available.
Something will have to give as the Golden Eagles (5-7-4, 2-4-2 BIG EAST) are in the midst of a three-game losing streak, is longest skid of the season, while SHU comes into the contest having lost seven straight (3-12-1, 1-7 BIG EAST).
Two starters – freshman Eric Pothast and junior Amilcar Herrera – have been cleared to return to head coach Louis Bennett’s lineup Saturday. Pothast had missed the last five matches with mononucleosis while Herrera did not travel this past Wednesday to West Virginia due to injury.
• MU enters Saturday’s divisional contest in sixth place in the BIG EAST Conference Blue Division standings having lost three straight matches following its 3-0 loss at West Virginia this past Wednesday.
• Currently with eight BIG EAST points, Marquette would garner its second consecutive conference tournament berth with a win or a draw on Saturday night, OR a Pittsburgh (5 pts.) loss or draw to Connecticut this Sunday.
• Only the top six teams from each division are invited to the league tourney ... MU could finish as high as fifth place with a win Saturday, AND a Providence (10 pts) loss against West Virginia
• Already eliminated from postseason contention, Seton Hall is looking to halt its current seven-game skid ... SHU is winless away from home with a 0-7 record on the road.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
• Brayan Martinez and Steven Rose lead the Pirates in scoring with 12 points and five goals apiece ... SHU has used three goalkeepers this season with a combined 2.32 goals against average.
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS