Marquette Soccer Heads to DePaul for Season Finale
Nov. 4, 2015
• The loss took the Golden Eagles out of contention for a BIG EAST tournament spot. Injuries to key positions played a big role in the team missing their first conference tournament since 2008.
• MU can play spoiler on Thursday as DePaul currently sits in sixth place, controlling its own destiny for a BIG EAST tournament spot. Villanova is on their heels, just a point behind in seventh, and closes out the regular season against winless Seton Hall.
• Marquette holds a commanding series lead on DePaul with a 24-4-1 advantage in 29 meetings all-time. However, MU is looking to snap a three-game road losing skid to the Blue Demons on Thursday, having not won in Chicago since the 2002 season.
• Luis Barraza and Ruben Sanchez cracked the recent list of Top-100 freshmen by TopDrawerSoccer.com. Barraza, a goalkeeper, came in at No. 33, while Sanchez, who was listed as a midfielder, came in at No. 87 on the list. Both have started all but one game for the Golden Eagles in 2015.
• As always, follow Marquette Soccer on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Live in-game updates are available via Twitter. Join the conversation by using #MarquetteSoccer.
• The Blue Demons fell to the Red Storm last time out, allowing a goal in each half en route to a 2-0 loss on Saturday. DePaul was outshot 19-15, but earned a 5-2 advantage in corner kicks. Defender Jalen Harvey led the way with five shots, including one on target for DePaul.
• Simon Megally leads the Blue Demons offensively with 12 points on six goals, including one game-winning tally. Erik Rodriguez, Jake Scheper and John Freitag have nine, eight and seven points, respectively, including three goals apiece.
• Leading the Blue Demons in net is Mack Robinson, who sports a 3-8-1 record with a 1.54 goals against average and a .710 save percentage. He has two solo shutouts and one shared shutout with teammate Quentin Low, who has a 1-4-0 record in five games played.
• After a quality chance by Nortey in the 4th minute that saw his header go just over the crossbar, the Bulldogs settled in and scored twice in the first 30 minutes of the game en route to their ninth victory of the year, including their fifth win in league action.
• Shots were even as both sides finished with 12, while Butler earned a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks. Mac Wheeler made his first career start in net for MU, making six saves in the loss.
• MU won last year’s (Nov. 7, 2014) meeting against DePaul with a convincing 4-0 decision at home thanks to goals by Coco Navarro, Jack Alberts, Louis Bennett II and C. Nortey. Charlie Lyon stopped both shots that came his way to secure the all-time record for shutouts at Marquette with his 29th career clean sheet.
• The Golden Eagles are seeking their first win over the Blue Demons on the road in four meetings after dropping the previous three by identical 2-1 scores. The most recent meeting in Chicago ended in regulation as compared to the previous two one-goal losses coming in overtime.
• Barraza earned the starting goalkeeper spot right out of preseason, performing admirably en route to earning the No. 33 spot on the list. Entering the regular season finale, he sports a 5-8-2 mark with a .714 save percentage and 65 stops on the season.
• Sanchez, listed as a midfielder, but was thrust into the team’s need at centerback due to injuries, was No. 87 on the list. He has one assist in ‘15.
• Currently, Creighton comes in at No. 3 according to NSCAA following its first loss to now-No. 25 Xavier, while Georgetown is No. 6 heading into the final week of the regular season.
• Collectively, their successes were highlighted by a pair of regular season BIG EAST titles, one BIG EAST tournament title and back-to-back NCAA postseason appearances, including a 2013 run to the Sweet 16.
• Islami scored twice in the first half against Providence, which his second multi-goal game of the campaign.
• Marquette was one of 217 institutions across all divisions to have both their men’s and women’s teams recognized for this award - the seventh straight time MU has accomplished that feat.
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS