Marquette Hosts No. 15/14 Louisville in BIG EAST Quarterfinal
Nov. 6, 2011
FOLLOW LIVE GAME ACTION
• Real time statistics are available on GoMarquette.com by clicking the Gametracker link.
• Marquette is coming off a 1-0 shutout over Pittsburgh to conclude the 2011 regular season. The victory clinched the Golden Eagles' first-ever BIG EAST Blue Division championship as MU earned the top seed and first-round bye in the BIG EAST Men' Soccer Championship.
• Louisville, which advanced to the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship title game in 2010, garnered the No. 4 seed in the Red Division in the 2011. The Cardinals routed No. 5 seed Providence 5-0 in a first-round contest on Nov. 3.
• Valley Fields has not hosted a men's soccer postseason match since Nov. 9, 1997 when No. 2 seed Marquette advanced past seventh-seeded Cincinnati in penalty kicks following a 1-1 draw in a Conference USA tournament quarterfinal.
• Marquette is making its third straight postseason appearance under sixth-year head coach Louis Bennett. MU upset St. John's 3-1 in first-round action last season before it was eliminated from the BIG EAST Men's Soccer Championship with a 2-1 loss at Notre Dame.
• Sunday's BIG EAST quarterfinal marks the first-ever postseason match up between Marquette and Louisville despite the fact that the two schools previously spent 10 years together in Conference USA prior to moving to the BIG EAST in 2005.
• After beginning the season with a 1-4-0 record, the Golden Eagles have gone on to go unbeaten in 10 of their last 13 matches with an 8-3-2 record during that stretch, including a 5-0-0 mark to begin BIG EAST regular-season action, the team's best-ever start in conference play.
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS