Golden Eagles Claim 4-3 Victory Over New Orleans
April 10, 2010
In New Orleans Saturday afternoon, the Marquette men's tennis team edged the University of New Orleans in a close 4-3 match.
The Golden Eagles (15-4) claimed all three sets in doubles play, as sophomore Jacob Straus/senior Dusan Medan and freshmen classmates Otavio Perim/Jose Carlos Gutierrez Crowley each tallied 8-4 victories. Sophomore Jonathan Schwerin and senior Mark Rutherford were challenged at No. 1 doubles, winning 9-7.
In singles action, Medan, Straus and Kakar all recorded wins, with Kakar clinching the match point with a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 comeback over UNO's Rohit Chivukula.
With the defeat, UNO falls to 4-13 on the season.
Marquette returns to action against Tulane on Sunday at 11:30 a.m. in New Orleans.
Marquette 4, University of New Orleans 3
1. Jonathan Schwerin/Mark Rutherford (MU) def. Stepan Siska/Ben Smith (UNO) 9-7
2. Jacob Straus/Dusan Medan (MU) def. Guilherme Rebolo/Benjamin Bouhana (UNO) 8-4
3. Otavio Perim/J. Gutierrez Crowley (MU) def. Abdelrahman Zaki/Rohit Chivukula (UNO) 8-4
1. Dusan Medan (MU) def. Benjamin Bouhana (UNO) 6-2, 6-3
2. Stepan Siska (UNO) def. Mark Rutherford (MU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Ben Smith (UNO) def. Otavio Perim (MU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Abdelrahman Zaki (UNO) def. J. Gutierrez Crowley (MU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
5. Jacob Straus (MU) def. Guilherme Rebolo (UNO) 6-3, 7-6 (7-0)
6. Drake Kakar (MU) def. Rohit Chivukula (UNO) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS